||Interpret the given information relating to the work and resources when locating and protecting utilities apparatus and sub-structures.
- 1.1 - Interpret and extract relevant information from drawings, risk assessments, method statements, specifications, schedules, survey information and manufacturers' information.
- 1.2 - Comply with information and/or instructions derived from risk assessments and method statements.
- 1.3 - Describe the organisational procedures developed to report and rectify inappropriate information and unsuitable resources and how they are implemented.
- 1.4 - Describe different types of information, their source and how they are interpreted in relation to:
- drawings, specifications, schedules, risk assessments, method statements, organisational and manufacturers' information and regulations governing utilities.
||Know how to comply with relevant legislation and official guidance when locating and protecting utilities apparatus and sub-structures.
- 2.1 - Describe their responsibilities regarding potential accidents and health hazards whilst working:
- in the workplace, below ground level, at height, with tools and equipment, with materials and substances, with movement/storage of materials and by manual handling and mechanical lifting.
- 2.2 - Describe the organisational security procedures for tools, equipment and personal belongings in relation to site, workplace, company and operative.
- 2.3 - Explain what the accident reporting procedures are and who is responsible for making reports.
- 2.4 - Describe the types of fire extinguishers available when locating and protecting utilities apparatus and sub-structures and describe how and when they are used.
||Maintain safe and healthy working practices when locating and protecting utilities apparatus and sub-structures.
- 3.1 - Use health and safety control equipment safely to carry out the activity in accordance with current legislation and organisational requirements when locating and protecting utilities apparatus and sub-structures.
- 3.2 - Comply with information relating to specific risks to health when locating and protecting utilities apparatus and sub-structures.
- 3.3 - Explain why and when health and safety control equipment, identified by the principles of protection, should be used, relating to locating and protecting utilities apparatus and sub-structures, and the types, purpose and limitations of each type, the work situation and general work environment, in relation to:
- collective protective measures
- personal protective equipment (PPE)
- respiratory protective equipment (RPE)
- local exhaust ventilation (LEV).
- 3.4 - Describe how the relevant health and safety control equipment should be used in accordance with the given instructions.
- 3.5 - Describe how emergencies should be responded to in accordance with organisational authorisation and personal skills when involved with fires, spillages, injuries, damage to utilities apparatus and sub-structures and other task-related hazards.
- 3.6 - Demonstrate the safe use of a fire extinguisher relevant to a typical fire associated with locating and protecting utilities apparatus and sub-structures as relevant to the operations.
||Select the required quantity and quality of resources for the methods of work to locate and protect utilities apparatus and sub-structures.
- 4.1 - Select resources associated with own work in relation to materials and components, tools and equipment, and electronic location instruments.
- 4.2 - Describe the characteristics, quality, uses, sustainability, limitations and defects associated with the resources in relation to:
- electronic instruments
- marking and protection materials
- hand and/or powered tools and equipment
- ancillary equipment.
- 4.3 - Describe how the resources should be used correctly and how problems associated with the resources are reported.
- 4.4 - Explain why the organisational procedures have been developed and how they are used for the selection of required resources.
- 4.5 - Describe any potential hazards associated with the resources and methods of work.
||Minimise the risk of damage to the work and surrounding area when locating and protecting utilities apparatus and sub-structures.
- 5.1 - Protect the work and its surrounding area from damage in accordance with safe working practices and organisational procedures.
- 5.2 - Minimise damage and maintain a clean work space.
- 5.3 - Dispose of waste in accordance with current legislation.
- 5.4 - Describe how to protect work from damage and the purpose of protection in relation to general workplace activities, other occupations and adverse weather conditions.
- 5.5 - Explain why the disposal of waste should be carried out safely in accordance with environmental responsibilities, organisational procedures, manufacturers' information, statutory regulations and official guidance.
||Complete the work within the allocated time when locating and protecting utilities apparatus and sub-structures.
- 6.1 - Demonstrate completion of the work within the allocated time.
- 6.2 - Describe the purpose of the work programme and explain why deadlines should be kept in relation to:
- types of progress charts, timetables and estimated times
- organisational procedures for reporting circumstances which will affect the work programme.
||Comply with the given contract information to locate and protect utilities apparatus and sub-structures to the required specification.
- 7.1 - Demonstrate the following work skills when locating and protecting utilities apparatus and sub-structures:
- measuring, locating, marking out, positioning, protecting and securing.
- 7.2 - Locate and protect sub-surface and/or overhead utilities apparatus to given working instructions, relating to:
- gas, fuel, electric, communications, water and sewage.
- 7.3 - Safely use materials, hand tools, portable power tools, ancillary equipment and electronic instruments.
- 7.4 - Safely store the materials, tools and equipment used when locating and protecting utilities apparatus and sub-structures.
- 7.5 - Describe how to apply safe and healthy work practices, follow procedures, report problems and establish the authority needed to rectify them, to:
– ensure electronic equipment is calibrated
– identify utilities apparatus and sub-structures by electronic location, trial holes and visual
– confirm the type of service (gas, fuel, electric, communication, water, sewage)
– confirm structures (foundations, manholes, inspection chambers, joint/junction boxes)
– confirm any natural environment (tree roots, natural watercourse)
– mark the location of the service apparatus and sub-structures
– provide for the recognition and protection of the service apparatus, sub-structure, and the natural environment during operational activities
– use hand tools, power tools and equipment
– work at height.
- 7.6 - Describe the needs of other occupations and how to effectively communicate within a team when locating and protecting utilities apparatus and sub-structures.
- 7.7 - Describe how to maintain the tools and equipment used when locating and protecting utilities apparatus and sub-structures.