Interpret the given information relating to the work and resources when applying non-reactive spray coatings.
- 1.1. - Interpret and extract relevant information from drawings, specifications, schedules, method statements, risk assessments, work instructions, fire performance documentation/certification, and manufacturers' information.
- 1.2. - Comply with information and/or instructions derived from risk assessments and method statements.
- 1.3. - Describe the organisational procedures developed to report and rectify inappropriate information and unsuitable resources and how they are implemented.
- 1.4. - Describe different types of information, their source and how they are interpreted in relation to:
– drawings, specifications, schedules, method statements, risk assessments, work instructions, fire performance documentation/certification, manufacturers' information, official guidance, Codes of Practice, guidance documents and current regulations/guidance relating to applying non-reactive spray coatings in buildings.
Know how to comply with relevant legislation and official guidance when applying non-reactive spray coatings.
- 2.1. - Describe their responsibilities regarding potential accidents, health hazards and the environment, whilst working:
– in the workplace, below ground level, in confined spaces, at height, with tools and equipment, with materials and substances, with movement and storage of materials by manual handling and mechanical lifting.
- 2.2. - Describe the organisational security procedures for tools, equipment and personal belongings in relation to site, workplace, company, operative, vehicles and tools.
- 2.3. - Explain what the accident reporting procedures are and who is responsible for making reports.
- 2.4. - Describe the types of fire extinguishers available when applying non-reactive spray coatings and describe how and when they are used.
Maintain safe and healthyworking practices when applying non-reactive spray coatings.
- 3.1. - Use health and safety control equipment safely and comply with the methods of work and safety control measures to carry out the activity in accordance with current legislation and organisational requirements when applying non-reactive spray coatings.
- 3.2. - Demonstrate compliance with given information and relevant legislation when applying non-reactive spray coatings in relation to the following:
– safe use and storage and handling of access apparatus, working platforms and tools
– safe use, storage and handling of materials
– specific risks to health and the environment.
- 3.3. - Explain why and when health and safety control equipment, identified by the principles of prevention should be used, relating to applying non-reactive spray coatings, and the types, purpose and limitations of each type, the work situation and general work environment, in relation to:
– collective protective measures
– local exhaust ventilation (LEV)
– personal protective equipment (PPE)
– respiratory protective equipment (RPE).
- 3.4. - Describe how the relevant health and safety control equipment should be used in accordance with the given working instructions.
- 3.5. - Describe how emergencies should be responded to in accordance with organisational authorisation and personal skills when involved with fires, spillages, injuries and other task-related activities.
- 3.6. - Demonstrate the safe use of a fire extinguisher relevant to a typical fire associated with applying non-reactive spray coatings as relevant to the operations.
Select the required quantity and quality of resources for the methods of work to apply non-reactive spray coatings.
- 4.1. - Select resources associated with own work in relation to materials, components, tools and equipment.
- 4.2. - Describe the characteristics, quality, uses, sustainability, limitations and defects associated with the resources in relation to:
– spray material
– masking materials
– primers, reinforcement, fixings
– hand tools, portable power tools and spray pumping equipment.
- 4.3. - Describe how to confirm that the resources and materials conform to the specification.
- 4.4. - Describe how the resources should be used correctly and how problems associated with the resources are reported.
- 4.5. - Explain why the organisational procedures have been developed and how they are used for the selection of required resources.
- 4.6. - Describe any potential hazards associated with the resources and methods of work.
- 4.7. - Describe how to measure quantity, length, area and wastage associated with the method and procedure to apply non-reactive spray coatings.
Minimise the risk of damage to the work and surrounding area when applying non-reactive spray coatings.
- 5.1. - Protect the work and its surrounding area from damage in accordance with safe working practices and organisational procedures.
- 5.2. - Maintain a clean work space.
- 5.3. - Dispose of waste in accordance with current legislation.
- 5.4. - Describe how to protect work from damage and the purpose of protection in relation to general workplace activities, other occupations and adverse weather conditions.
- 5.5. - Explain why the disposal of waste should be carried out safely in accordance with environmental responsibilities, organisational procedures, manufacturers’ information, statutory regulations and official guidance.
Complete the work within the allocated time when applying non-reactive spray coatings.
- 6.1. - Demonstrate completion of the work within the allocated time.
- 6.2. - Describe the purpose of the work programme and explain why timescales and deadlines should be kept in relation to:
– organisational procedures for reporting circumstances which will affect the work programme.
Comply with the given contract information to apply non-reactive spray coatings to the required specification.
- 7.1. - Demonstrate the following work skills when applying non-reactive spray coatings:
– measuring, cleaning, priming, positioning and securing.
- 7.2. - Use and maintain hand tools, portable power tools and ancillary equipment.
- 7.3. - Select the appropriate spray equipment based on material selection.
- 7.4. - Mix materials with correct water ratios for required time and paddle/augur speeds and measure to manufacturer’s density requirements.
- 7.5. - Prepare concrete, steel and reinforcement to receive non-reactive spray coatings to given working instructions.
- 7.6. - Apply non-reactive spray coatings materials to given working instructions.
- 7.7. - Carry out repairs to product specification.
- 7.8. - Carry out repairs to coatings as per product specification.
- 7.9. - Describe how to apply safe and healthy work practices, follow procedures, report problems and establish the authority needed to rectify them, to:
– identify and follow the installation quality requirements
– select the appropriate spray equipment based on material selection
– assess the substrate condition for application
– understand how to mix materials with correct water ratios for required times and paddle/augur speeds and measure to manufacturer’s density requirements
– spray non-reactive coatings to concrete, steel and reinforcement
– identify substrate and compatibility requirements
– secure reinforcement
– carry out repairs in accordance with product specification
– review the quality of the application including the required thickness
– protect environment from wet and dry waste
– understand the implications of the generic interfaces between system types
– recognise and determine when specialist skills and knowledge are required and report accordingly
– recognise specific requirements for structures of special interest, traditional build (pre 1919) and historical significance
– work with, around and in close proximity to plant and machinery
– direct and guide the operations and movement of plant and machinery
– use hand tools, portable power tools and equipment ensuring electrical equipment has an appropriate portable appliance test (PAT)
– work at height using the appropriate access equipment.
- 7.10. - Describe the effects of changing environmental conditions on the application process.
- 7.11 - Describe the selection of material thickness for fire resisting requirements when applying non-reactive spray coatings.
- 7.12. - Describe the needs of other occupations in the proximity of the working area and how to communicate effectively within a team when applying non-reactive spray coatings.
- 7.13. - Describe how to maintain the tools and equipment used when applying non-reactive spray coatings.