Interpret the given information relating to the work and resources when installing insulation to cold roofs.
- 1.1. - Interpret and extract relevant information drawings, specifications, schedules, method statements, risk assessments manufacturers’ information and data sheets.
- 1.2. - Comply with information and/or instructions derived from risk assessments and method statements.
- 1.3. - Describe the organisational procedures developed to report and rectify inappropriate information and unsuitable resources and how they are implemented.
- 1.4. - Describe different types of information, their source and how they are interpreted in relation to:
- drawings, specifications, schedules, method statements, risk assessments, manufacturers’ information and data sheets, and current regulations governing buildings.
Know how to comply with relevant legislation and official guidance when installing insulation to cold roofs.
- 2.1. - Describe their responsibilities regarding potential accidents, health hazards and the environment whilst working:
- in the workplace, at height, in confined spaces, with tools and equipment, with materials and substances, with movement/storage of materials and by manual handling and mechanical lifting.
- 2.2. - Describe the organisational security procedures for tools, equipment and personal belongings in relation to site, workplace, vehicles, company and operative/technician.
- 2.3. - Explain what the accident reporting procedures are and who is responsible for making reports.
Maintain safe and healthy working practices when installing insulation to cold roofs.
- 3.1. - Use health and safety control equipment safely and comply with the methods of work to carry out the activity in accordance with current legislation and organisational requirements when installing insulation to cold roofs.
- 3.2. - Demonstrate compliance with given information and relevant legislation when installing insulation to cold roofs in relation to the following:
- safe use of access equipment
- safe use, storage and handling of materials, tools and equipment
- specific risks to health
- 3.3. - Explain why and when health and safety control equipment, identified by the principles of prevention, should be used, relating to installing insulation to cold roofs, and the types, purpose and limitations of each type, the work situation and general work environment, in relation to:
- collective protective measures
- personal protective equipment (PPE)
- respiratory protective equipment (RPE)
- local exhaust ventilation (LEV).
- 3.4. - Describe how the relevant health and safety control equipment should be used in accordance with the given working instructions.
- 3.5. - Describe how emergencies should be responded to in accordance with organisational authorisation and personal skills when involved with fires, spillages, injuries and other task-related activities.
Select the required quantity and quality of resources for the methods of work to install insulation to cold roofs.
- 4.1. - Select resources associated with own work in relation to materials, components, fixings, tools and equipment
- 4.2. - Describe the characteristics, quality, uses, sustainability, limitations and defects associated with the resources in relation to:
- insulation, pipe insulation, tank and cylinder jackets, fixings and ancillary items
- hand tools and installation equipment, portable power tools and ancillary equipment.
- 4.3. - Describe how the resources should be used correctly and how problems associated with the resources are reported.
- 4.4. - Explain why the organisational procedures have been developed and how they are used for the selection of required resources.
- 4.5. - Describe any potential hazards associated with the resources and methods of work.
- 4.6. - Describe how to calculate quantity, length, depth area and wastage associated with the method/procedure to install insulation to cold roofs.
Minimise the risk of damage to the work and surrounding area when installing insulation to cold roofs.
- 5.1. - Protect the work and its surrounding area from damage in accordance with safe working practices and organisational procedures.
- 5.2. - Minimise damage and maintain a clean work space.
- 5.3. - Dispose of waste in accordance with current legislation.
- 5.4. -
Describe how to protect work from damage and the purpose of protection in relation to general workplace activities, other occupations and adverse weather conditions.
- 5.5. - Explain why the disposal of waste should be carried out safely in accordance with environmental responsibilities, organisational procedures, manufacturers’ information, statutory regulations and official guidance.
Complete the work within the allocated time when installing insulation to cold roofs.
- 6.1. - Demonstrate completion of the work within the allocated time.
- 6.2. - Describe the purpose of the work programme and explain why deadlines should be kept in relation to:
- types of progress charts, timetables and estimated times
- organisational procedures for reporting circumstances which will affect the work programme.
Comply with the given contract information to install insulation to cold roofs to the required specification.
- 7.1. - Demonstrate the following work skills when installing insulation to cold roofs
- measuring, marking out, calculating, cutting, fitting, positioning and securing.
- 7.2. - Use and maintain hand tools, installation equipment, portable power tools and ancillary equipment.
- 7.3. - Prepare and install insulation to cold roofs using two of the following methods in compliance with current regulations and to given working instructions:
- mechanically or adhesively fixed
- 7.4. - Prepare and install insulation to the following in compliance with current regulations and to given working instructions
- tanks and/or cylinders
- access hatches.
- 7.5. - Carry out pre and post installation checks.
- 7.6. - Describe how to apply safe, healthy and environmental work practices, follow procedures, report problems and establish the authority needed to rectify them, to:
- understand the implications of existing guarantees and warranties
- recognise the procedures to check flues and combustion air ventilation
- protect access routes
- remove obstructions and store
- remove unwanted insulation from roof area
- carry out pre-installation checks to include common infestations, protected species, structural integrity, dampness, vents, services (gas, electric, water, media cables)
- check adequacy of ventilation and increase if required
- recognise the potential risk of increased condensation following installation relating to roof coverings (pitched and flat) and roof structures (timber, metal, concrete)
- ensure all work to services (gas, electric, water, media cables) is carried out by suitably qualified people
- check for hidden utilities
- identify insulation materials and their characteristics for cold roofs, pipes, storage tanks, cylinders and access hatches
- prepare and install injected/blown, placed, mechanically or adhesively fixed and sprayed insulation to cold roofs
- minimise the effects of thermal bridging
- insulate up to and under existing walkway boards
- check serviceability and provision of walkway boards
- prepare and fix pipe, tank and cylinder insulation
- ensure the insulation is contained within the prescribed areas
- insulate downlighters to the required specification
- ensure insulation around electrical apparatus will not create fire hazards (light fittings and cables)
- restrict or reduce unwanted heat loss (down lights and other fittings)
- maintain fire resistant barriers where appropriate
- insulate access hatches
- complete post installation checks
- provide advice to preserve the integrity of the insulation (insulation data sheet and warning labels)
- recognise when specialist skills and knowledge are required and report accordingly
- recognise specific requirements for structures of special interest, traditional build (pre 1919) and historical significance
- use hand tools, installation equipment, portable power tools and ancillary equipment
- work at height
- work in confined spaces
- use access equipment and work platforms.
- 7.7. - Describe the needs of other occupations and how to effectively communicate within a team when installing insulation to cold roofs.
- 7.8. - Describe how to maintain the tools and equipment used when installing insulation to cold roofs.