||Interpret the given information relating to the work and resources when preparing substrate for sprayed concrete.
- 1.1 - Interpret and extract relevant information from drawings, schedules, method statements, risk assessments and manufacturers' information.
- 1.2 - Comply with information and/or instructions derived from risk assessments and method statements.
- 1.3 - Describe the organisational procedures developed to report and rectify inappropriate information and unsuitable resources and how they are implemented.
- 1.4 - Describe different types of information, their source and how they are interpreted in relation to:
- drawings, specifications, schedules, method statements, risk assessments, work instructions, electronic data, manufacturers' information, and current regulations.
||Know how to comply with relevant legislation and official guidance when preparing substrate for sprayed concrete.
- 2.1 - Describe their responsibilities regarding potential accidents, health hazards and the environment, whilst working:
- in the workplace, below ground level, in confined spaces, at height, with tools and equipment, with materials and substances, with movement/storage of materials and by manual handling and mechanical lifting.
- 2.2 - Describe the organisational security procedures for tools, equipment and personal belongings in relation to site, workplace, company and operative.
- 2.3 - Explain what the accident reporting procedures are and who is responsible for making reports.
||Maintain safe and healthy working practices when preparing substrate for sprayed concrete.
- 3.1 - Use health and safety control equipment safely and comply with the methods of work to carry out the activity in accordance with current legislation and organisational requirements when preparing substrate for sprayed concrete.
- 3.2 - Demonstrate compliance with given information and relevant legislation when preparing substrate for sprayed concrete in relation to three of the following:
- safe use of access equipment
- safe handling of materials
- safe use and storage of materials, tools and equipment
- specific risks to health.
- 3.3 - Explain why and when health and safety control equipment, identified by the principles of protection, should be used, relating to preparing substrate for sprayed concrete, and the types, purpose and limitations of each type, the work situation and general work environment, in relation to:
- collective protective measures
- personal protective equipment (PPE)
- respiratory protective equipment (RPE)
- local exhaust ventilation (LEV).
- 3.4 - Describe how the relevant health and safety control equipment should be used in accordance with the given instructions.
- 3.5 - Describe how emergencies should be responded to in accordance with organisational authorisation and personal skills when involved with fires, spillages, injuries and other task-related activities.
||Select the required quantity and quality of resources for the methods of work to prepare substrate for sprayed concrete.
- 4.1 - Select resources associated with own work in relation to materials, components, fixings, tools and equipment.
- 4.2 - Describe the characteristics, quality, uses, sustainability, limitations and defects associated with the resources in relation to:
- temporary supports, screens, barriers, reinforcement, tying wire, pins, formwork
- hand tools, portable power tools and equipment
- jet washing and grit blasting equipment.
- 4.3 - Describe how the resources should be used correctly and how problems associated with the resources are reported.
- 4.4 - Explain why the organisational procedures have been developed and how they are used for the selection of required resources.
- 4.5 - Describe any potential hazards associated with the resources and methods of work.
- 4.6 - Describe how to calculate quantity, length, area and wastage associated with the method/procedure to prepare substrate for sprayed concrete.
||Minimise the risk of damage to the work and surrounding area when preparing substrate for sprayed concrete.
- 5.1 - Protect the work and its surrounding area from damage in accordance with safe working practices and organisational procedures.
- 5.2 - Minimise damage and maintain a clean work space.
- 5.3 - Dispose of waste in accordance with current legislation.
- 5.4 - Describe how to protect work from damage and the purpose of protection in relation to general workplace activities, other occupations and adverse weather conditions.
- 5.5 - Explain why the disposal of waste should be carried out safely in accordance with environmental responsibilities, organisational procedures, manufacturers' information, statutory regulations and official guidance.
||Complete the work within the allocated time when preparing substrate for sprayed concrete.
- 6.1 - Demonstrate completion of the work within the allocated time.
- 6.2 - Describe the purpose of the work programme and explain why deadlines should be kept in relation to:
- types of progress charts, timetables and estimated times
- organisational procedures for reporting circumstances which will affect the work programme.
||Comply with the given contract information to prepare substrate for sprayed concrete to the required specification.
- 7.1 - Demonstrate the following work skills when preparing substrate for sprayed concrete:
- measuring, marking out, locating, protecting, supporting, breaking out, cleaning, profiling, tying, erecting, recording and reporting.
- 7.2 - Use and maintain hand tools, portable power tools and ancillary equipment.
- 7.3 - Prepare substrates prior to receiving sprayed concrete to given working instructions relating to seven of the following:
- locate and protect services
- break out loose and de-bonded materials
- roughen smooth surfaces
- clear and clean
- surface profile levels
- tie and secure reinforcement bar and/or mesh
- fit guide wires
- fit depth pins
- erect formwork
- record and report work carried out.
- 7.4 - Describe how to apply safe and healthy work practices, follow procedures, report problems and establish the authority needed to rectify them, to:
- locate and protect services (water, gas, electric and waste)
- break out, profile, square cut, clean and prepare,
- identify when substrate needs to be supported
- confirm substrate is ready to receive sprayed concrete
- position and secure reinforcement
- apply corrosion protection.
- 7.5 - Describe how to apply safe and healthy work practices, follow procedures, report problems and establish the authority needed to rectify them, to:
- erect and dismantle formwork
- install guide wires and depth pins
- record and report
- recognise and determine when specific skills and knowledge are required and report accordingly
- use hand tools, portable power tools and equipment
- work at height
- use access equipment.
- 7.6 - Describe the needs of other occupations and how to effectively communicate within a team when preparing substrate for sprayed concrete.
- 7.7 - Describe how to maintain the tools and equipment used when preparing substrate for sprayed concrete.