||Interpret the given information relating to the work and resources when preparing backgrounds for wall and/or floor tiling.
- 1.1 - Interpret and extract relevant information from drawings, specifications, job details, method statements, risk assessments, control of substances hazardous to health (COSHH) assessments and manufacturers' information.
- 1.2 - Comply with information and/or instructions derived from risk assessments and method statements.
- 1.3 - State the organisational procedures developed to report and rectify inappropriate information and unsuitable resources and how they are implemented.
- 1.4 - Describe different types of information, their source and how they are interpreted in relation to:
- drawings, specifications, job details, method statements, risk assessments, COSHH assessments, manufacturers' information and wall and floor tiling recommendations.
||Know how to comply with relevant legislation and official guidance when preparing backgrounds for wall and/or floor tiling.
- 2.1 - Describe their responsibilities under current legislation and official guidance whilst working:
- in the workplace, at height, with tools and equipment, with materials and substances, with movement/storage of materials and by manual handling and mechanical lifting.
- 2.2 - Describe the organisational security procedures for tools, equipment and personal belongings in relation to site, workplace, company and operative.
- 2.3 - Explain what the accident reporting procedures are and who is responsible for making reports.
||Maintain safe working practices when preparing backgrounds for wall and/or floor tiling.
- 3.1 - Use health and safety control equipment safely to carry out the activity in accordance with legislation and organisational requirements when preparing backgrounds for wall and/or floor tiling.
- 3.2 - Explain why and when health and safety control equipment, identified by the principles of protection, should be used, relating to preparing backgrounds for wall and/or floor tiling, and the types, purpose and limitations of each type, the work situation and general work environment, in relation to:
- collective protective measures
- personal protective equipment (PPE)
- respiratory protective equipment (RPE)
- local exhaust ventilation (LEV).
- 3.3 - Describe how the relevant health and safety control equipment should be used in accordance with the given instructions.
- 3.4 - State how emergencies should be responded to in accordance with organisational authorisation and personal skills when involved with fires, spillages, injuries and other task-related hazards.
||Select the required quantity and quality of resources for the methods of work to prepare backgrounds for wall and/or floor tiling.
- 4.1 - Select resources associated with own work in relation to materials, components, accessories, tools and equipment.
- 4.2 - Describe the characteristics, quality, uses, sustainability, limitations and defects associated with the resources in relation to:
- sand, cement, plaster renders, screeds, trim, bonding/priming agents, waterproofing agents, accessories
- hand and/or powered tools and associated equipment.
- 4.3 - Describe how the resources should be used correctly and how problems associated with the resources are reported.
- 4.4 - Explain why the organisational procedures have been developed and how they are used for the selection of required resources.
- 4.5 - Describe any potential hazards associated with the resources and method of work.
- 4.6 - Describe how to calculate quantity, length, area and wastage associated with the method/procedure to prepare backgrounds for wall and/or floor tiling.
||Minimise the risk of damage to the work and surrounding area when preparing backgrounds for wall and/or floor tiling.
- 5.1 - Protect the work and its surrounding area from damage in accordance with safe working practices and organisational procedures.
- 5.2 - Minimise damage and maintain a clean work space.
- 5.3 - Dispose of waste in accordance with legislation.
- 5.4 - Describe how to protect work from damage and the purpose of protection in relation to general workplace activities, other occupations and adverse weather conditions.
- 5.5 - Explain why the disposal of waste should be carried out safely in accordance with environmental responsibilities, organisational procedures, manufacturers' information, statutory regulations and official guidance.
||Complete the work within the allocated time when preparing backgrounds for wall and/or floor tiling.
- 6.1 - Demonstrate completion of the work within the allocated time.
- 6.2 - State the purpose of the work programme and explain why deadlines should be kept in relation to:
- types of progress charts, timetables and estimated times
- organisational procedures for reporting circumstances which will affect the work programme.
||Comply with the given contract information to prepare backgrounds for wall and/or floor tiling to the required specification.
- 7.1 - Demonstrate the following work skills when preparing backgrounds for wall and/or floor tiling:
- measuring, setting out, stripping, cutting out, removing, making good, applying, finishing, positioning, securing and finishing.
- 7.2 - Prepare and apply new and/or existing surfaces (to receive ceramic and natural stone wall and floor tiling) to given working instructions for:
- brick, block, tiles, concrete and manufactured board surfaces, cement and sand surfaces
- application of appropriate accessories.
- 7.3 - Safely use materials, hand tools, portable power tools and associated equipment.
- 7.4 - Safely store the materials, tools and equipment used when preparing backgrounds for wall and/or floor tiling.
- 7.5 - Describe how to apply safe work practices, follow procedures, report problems and establish the authority needed to rectify them, to:
– prepare brick, block, tiles, concrete, manufactured board surfaces, membranes and gypsum based surfaces
– mix and apply cement and sand renders/screed and plaster renders
– mix and apply proprietary material to make good the surfaces
– install appropriate accessories
– use waterproof decoupling and acoustic membranes
– install movement joints
– use hand tools, power tools and associated equipment
– work at height
– use access equipment.
- 7.6 - Describe the needs of other occupations and how to effectively communicate within a team when preparing backgrounds for tiling.
- 7.7 - Describe how to maintain the tools and equipment used when preparing backgrounds for tiling.