Interpret the given information relating to the work and resources when stripping and reclaiming roof coverings.
- 1.1 - Interpret and extract relevant information from oral/written working instructions, drawings, specifications, method statements, risk assessments and manufacturers' information.
- 1.2 -
Comply with information and/or instructions derived from risk assessments and method statements.
- 1.3 -
Describe the organisational procedures developed to report and rectify inappropriate information and unsuitable resources and how they are implemented.
- 1.4 -
Describe different types of information, their source and how they are interpreted in relation to:
– oral/written working instructions, electronic data, drawings, specifications, schedules, method statements, risk assessments, manufacturers' information, organisational procedures and current regulations governing buildings.
Know how to comply with relevant legislation and official guidance when stripping and reclaiming roof coverings.
- 2.1 -
Describe their responsibilities regarding potential accidents, health hazards and the environment, whilst working:
– in the workplace, in confined spaces. at height, with tools and equipment, with materials and substances, with movement/ storage of materials and by manual handling and mechanical lifting.
- 2.2 -
Describe the organisational security procedures for tools, equipment and personal belongings in relation to site, workplace, company and operative.
- 2.3 -
Explain what the accident reporting procedures are and who is responsible for making reports.
Maintain safe and healthy working practices when stripping and reclaiming roof coverings.
- 3.1 -
Use health and safety control equipment safely and comply with the methods of work to carry out the activity in accordance with current legislation and organisational requirements when stripping and reclaiming roof coverings.
- 3.2 -
Demonstrate compliance with given information and relevant legislation when stripping and reclaiming roof coverings. in relation to the following:
– safe use of access equipment/working platforms
– safe use, storage and handling of materials, tools and equipment
– specific risks to health.
- 3.3 -
Explain why and when health and safety control equipment, identified by the principles of prevention, should be used, relating to stripping and reclaiming roof coverings, and the types, purpose and limitations of each type, the work situation and general work environment, in relation to:
– collective protective measures
– personal protective equipment (PPE)
– respiratory protective equipment (RPE)
– local exhaust ventilation (LEV).
- 3.4 -
Describe how the relevant health and safety control equipment should be used in accordance with the given working instructions.
- 3.5 -
Describe how emergencies should be responded to in accordance with organisational authorisation and personal skills when involved with fires, spillages, injuries and other task-related activities.
Select the required quantity and quality of resources for the methods of work to strip and reclaim roof coverings.
- 4.1 -
Select resources associated with own work in relation to tools and equipment.
- 4.2 -
Describe the characteristics, quality, uses, sustainability, limitations and defects associated with the resources in relation to:
– hand tools, power tools and ancillary equipment.
- 4.3 -
Describe how the resources should be used correctly and how problems associated with the resources are reported.
- 4.4 -
Explain why the organisational procedures have been developed and how they are used for the selection of required resources.
- 4.5 -
Describe any potential hazards associated with the resources and methods of work.
- 4.6 -
Describe how to calculate quantity associated with the method/procedure to strip and reclaim roof coverings.
Minimise the risk of damage to the work and surrounding area when stripping and reclaiming roof coverings.
- 5.1 -
Protect the work and its surrounding area from damage in accordance with safe working practices and organisational procedures.
- 5.2 -
Minimise damage and maintain a clean work space.
- 5.3 -
Dispose of waste in accordance with current legislation.
- 5.4 -
Describe how to protect work from damage and the purpose of protection in relation to general workplace activities, other occupations and adverse weather conditions.
- 5.5 -
Explain why the disposal of waste should be carried out safely in accordance with environmental responsibilities, organisational procedures, manufacturers’ information, statutory regulations and official guidance.
Complete the work within the allocated time when stripping and reclaiming roof coverings.
- 6.1 -
Demonstrate completion of the work within the allocated time.
- 6.2 -
Describe the purpose of the work programme and explain why deadlines should be kept in relation to:
– types of progress charts, timetables and estimated times
– organisational procedures for reporting circumstances which will affect the work programme.
Comply with the given contract information to strip and reclaim roof coverings to the required specification.
- 7.1 -
Demonstrate the following work skills when stripping and reclaiming roof coverings:
– removing, reclaiming, de-nailing, re-holing, re-sizing, cleaning and sorting.
- 7.2 -
Use and maintain hand tools, power tools and ancillary equipment.
- 7.3 -
Remove, reclaim and/or dispose of weathering materials and ancillary components to given working instructions, plus two of the following:
– natural slates
– plain tiles
– single-lap tiles
– stone slates.
- 7.4 -
Prepare surface and materials ready for re-roofing in accordance with given working instructions.
- 7.5 -
Describe how to apply safe and healthy work practices, follow procedures, report problems and establish the authority needed to rectify them, to:
– assess suitability of sub-structure
– identify and report faults with sub-structure and roof interfaces
– position temporary stop boards at eaves
– remove existing roof coverings
– clear roof of debris and nails in rafters and other roof timbers
– sort removed roof coverings and dispose of unwanted materials
– reclaim reusable tiles and natural slates, stone slates and weatherings
– assess the suitability of materials to be reclaimed
– determine sizes of imperial and metric slates
– stack/store reclaimed materials for reuse
– prepare materials for reuse, including de-nailing, re-holing and re-sizing
– recognise when specialist skills and knowledge are required and report accordingly
– recognise specific requirements for structures of special interest, traditional build (pre 1919) and historical significance
– use hand tools, power tools and equipment
– work at height
– use access equipment/work platforms.
- 7.6 -
Liaise with clients regarding procedures for carrying out the work and protecting property and the surrounding area.
- 7.7 -
Describe the needs of other occupations and how to effectively communicate within a team when stripping and reclaiming roof coverings.
- 7.8 -
Describe how to maintain the tools and equipment used when stripping and reclaiming roof coverings.