||Interpret the given information relating to the work and resources when installing solar collectors to roofs.
- 1.1 - Interpret and extract relevant information from drawings, specifications, schedules, method statements, risk assessments and manufacturers' information.
- 1.2 - Comply with information and/or instructions derived from risk assessments and method statements.
- 1.3 - State the organisational procedures developed to report and rectify inappropriate information and unsuitable resources and how they are implemented.
- 1.4 - Describe different types of information, their source and how they are interpreted in relation to:
- drawings, specifications, schedules, method statements, risk assessments, manufacturers' information and regulations governing buildings.
||Know how to comply with relevant legislation and official guidance when installing solar collectors to roofs.
- 2.1 - Describe their responsibilities under current legislation and official guidance whilst working:
- in the workplace, below ground level, in confined spaces, at height, with tools and equipment, with materials and substances, with movement/storage of materials and by manual handling and mechanical lifting.
- 2.2 - Describe the organisational security procedures for tools, equipment and personal belongings in relation to site, workplace, company and operative.
- 2.3 - Explain what the accident reporting procedures are and who is responsible for making reports.
||Maintain safe working practices when installing solar collectors to roofs.
- 3.1 - Use health and safety control equipment and access equipment safely to carry out the activity in accordance with legislation and organisational requirements when installing solar collectors to roofs.
- 3.2 - Explain why and when health and safety control equipment, identified by the principles of protection, should be used, relating to installing solar collectors to roofs, and the types, purpose and limitations of each type, the work situation and general work environment, in relation to:
- collective protective measures
- personal protective equipment (PPE)
- respiratory protective equipment (RPE)- local exhaust ventilation (LEV).
- 3.3 - Describe how the relevant health and safety control equipment should be used in accordance with the given instructions.
- 3.4 - State how emergencies should be responded to in accordance with organisational authorisation and personal skills when involved with fires, spillages, injuries and other task-related hazards.
||Select the required quantity and quality of resources for the methods of work to install solar collectors to roofs.
- 4.1 - Select resources associated with own work in relation to materials, components, fixings, tools and equipment.
- 4.2 - Describe the characteristics, quality, uses, sustainability, limitations and defects associated with the resources in relation to:
- solar collector installation kits- hand and/or powered tools and equipment.
- 4.3 - Describe how the resources should be used correctly and how problems associated with the resources are reported.
- 4.4 - Explain why the organisational procedures have been developed and how they are used for the selection of required resources.
- 4.5 - Describe any potential hazards associated with the resources and method of work.
- 4.6 - Describe how to calculate quantity, length, area and wastage associated with the method/procedure to install solar collectors to roofs.
||Minimise the risk of damage to the work and surrounding area when installing solar collectors to roofs.
- 5.1 - Protect the work and its surrounding area from damage in accordance with safe working practices and organisational procedures.
- 5.2 - Minimise damage and maintain a clean work space.
- 5.3 - Dispose of waste in accordance with legislation.
- 5.4 - Describe how to protect work from damage and the purpose of protection in relation to general workplace activities, other occupations and adverse weather conditions.
- 5.5 - Explain why the disposal of waste should be carried out safely in accordance with environmental responsibilities, organisational procedures, manufacturers' information, statutory regulations and official guidance.
||Complete the work within the allocated time when installing solar collectors to roofs.
- 6.1 - Demonstrate completion of the work within the allocated time.
- 6.2 - State the purpose of the work programme and explain why deadlines should be kept in relation to:
- types of progress charts, timetables and estimated times- organisational procedures for reporting circumstances which will affect the work programme.
||Comply with the given contract information to installing solar collectors to roofs to the required specification.
- 7.1 - Demonstrate the following work skills when installing solar collectors to roofs:
- removing, measuring, marking out, cutting, fitting, fixing, positioning, securing and replacing.
- 7.2 - Prepare for and install solar collectors to roof to given working instructions for one of the following:
- integrated photo voltaic
- mounted photo voltaic
- integrated solar thermal- mounted solar thermal.
- 7.3 - Reinstate roof coverings to given working instructions.
- 7.4 - Safely use and handle materials.
- 7.5 - Safely use hand tools, portable power tools and ancillary equipment.
- 7.6 - Safely store the materials, tools and equipment used when installing solar collectors to roofs.
- 7.7 - Describe how to apply safe work practices, follow procedures, report problems and establish the authority needed to rectify them, to:
- assess the installation area
- check the direction the roof is facing
- remove or leave out waterproofing elements
- mark out for installation using given templates or dimensions
- prepare and weatherproof penetrations
- fix additional supports - secure fixtures, fittings and collector.
- 7.8 - Describe how to apply safe work practices, follow procedures, report problems and establish the authority needed to rectify them, to:
- reinstate roof covering including flashings
- install solar panels during construction and as retrofit to existing buildings
- use hand tools, power tools and equipment
- work at height- use access equipment.
- 7.9 - Describe the needs of other occupations and how to effectively communicate within a team when installing solar collectors to roofs.
- 7.10 - Describe how to maintain the tools and equipment used when installing solar collectors to roofs.