||Interpret the given information relating to the work and resources when applying sprayed concrete.
- 1.1 - Interpret and extract relevant information from drawings, schedules, method statements, risk assessments and manufacturers' information.
- 1.2 - Comply with information and/or instructions derived from risk assessments and method statements.
- 1.3 - Describe the organisational procedures developed to report and rectify inappropriate information and unsuitable resources and how they are implemented.
- 1.4 - Describe different types of information, their source and how they are interpreted in relation to:
- drawings, specifications, schedules, method statements, risk assessments, work instructions, electronic data, manufacturers' information, and current regulations.
||Know how to comply with relevant legislation and official guidance when applying sprayed concrete.
- 2.1 - Describe their responsibilities regarding potential accidents, health hazards and the environment, whilst working:
- in the workplace, below ground level, in confined spaces, at height, with tools and equipment, with materials and substances, with movement/storage of materials and by manual handling and mechanical lifting.
- 2.2 - Describe the organisational security procedures for tools, equipment and personal belongings in relation to site, workplace, company and operative.
- 2.3 - Explain what the accident reporting procedures are and who is responsible for making reports.
||Maintain safe and healthy working practices when applying sprayed concrete.
- 3.1 - Use health and safety control equipment safely and comply with the methods of work to carry out the activity in accordance with current legislation and organisational requirements when applying sprayed concrete.
- 3.2 - Demonstrate compliance with given information and relevant legislation when applying sprayed concrete in relation to three of the following:
- safe use of access equipment
- safe handling of materials
- safe use and storage of materials, tools and equipment
- specific risks to health.
- 3.3 - Explain why and when health and safety control equipment, identified by the principles of protection, should be used, relating to applying sprayed concrete, and the types, purpose and limitations of each type, the work situation and general work environment, in relation to:
- collective protective measures
- personal protective equipment (PPE)
- respiratory protective equipment (RPE)
- local exhaust ventilation (LEV).
- 3.4 - Describe how the relevant health and safety control equipment should be used in accordance with the given instructions.
- 3.5 - Describe how emergencies should be responded to in accordance with organisational authorisation and personal skills when involved with fires, spillages, injuries and other task-related activities.
||Select the required quantity and quality of resources for the methods of work to apply sprayed concrete.
- 4.1 - Select resources associated with own work in relation to materials, components, fixings, tools and equipment.
- 4.2 - Describe the characteristics, quality, uses, sustainability, limitations and defects associated with the resources in relation to:
- sand, aggregate, cements, water, additives, admixtures, structural concrete, curing membranes
- working platforms
- hand tools, portable power tools, spraying and testing equipment and ancillaries.
- 4.3 - Describe how the resources should be used correctly and how problems associated with the resources are reported.
- 4.4 - Explain why the organisational procedures have been developed and how they are used for the selection of required resources.
- 4.5 - Describe any potential hazards associated with the resources and methods of work.
- 4.6 - Describe how to calculate quantity, length, area, volume and wastage associated with the method/procedure to apply sprayed concrete.
||Minimise the risk of damage to the work and surrounding area when applying sprayed concrete.
- 5.1 - Protect the work and its surrounding area from damage in accordance with safe working practices and organisational procedures.
- 5.2 - Minimise damage and maintain a clean work space.
- 5.3 - Dispose of waste in accordance with current legislation.
- 5.4 - Describe how to protect work from damage and the purpose of protection in relation to general workplace activities, other occupations and adverse weather conditions
- 5.5 - Explain why the disposal of waste should be carried out safely in accordance with environmental responsibilities, organisational procedures, manufacturers' information, statutory regulations and official guidance.
||Complete the work within the allocated time when applying sprayed concrete.
- 6.1 - Demonstrate completion of the work within the allocated time.
- 6.2 - Describe the purpose of the work programme and explain why deadlines should be kept in relation to:
- types of progress charts, timetables and estimated times
- organisational procedures for reporting circumstances which will affect the work programme.
||Comply with the given contract information to apply sprayed concrete to the required specification.
- 7.1 - Demonstrate the following work skills when applying sprayed concrete:
- measuring, marking out, assembling, checking, preparing, finishing, curing, protecting, testing, recording and reporting.
- 7.2 - Use and maintain concrete spraying machinery and compressor, hand tools, portable power tools and ancillary equipment
- 7.3 - Apply sprayed concrete by wet and/or dry methods to given working instructions for five of the following:
- pre-wet surfaces for spraying
- spray concrete to profile
- produce samples for testing
- cure and protect concrete
- record and report on test
- record and report on spraying
- operate spraying nozzle
- operate pump
- clean pump
- clear lines.
- 7.4 - Describe how to apply safe and healthy work practices, follow procedures, report problems and establish the authority needed to rectify them, to:
– assemble and check spray equipment (wet and/or dry application)
– prepare substrates including wetting, depth guides and protection measures
– maintain protection against overspray and rebounding materials
– set up spray and pumping equipment
– operate robotic spraying equipment
– operate hand-held spraying equipment
– spray in layers to agreed profile and depth.
- 7.5 - Describe how to apply safe and healthy work practices, follow procedures, report problems and establish the authority needed to rectify them, to:
– apply specified finish
– cure and protect concrete
– provide samples for testing concrete (compression, tension, consistency and workability)
– record and report
– recognise and determine when specific skills and knowledge are required and report accordingly
– operate spraying machines, compressors and pumps
– maintain spraying machines, nozzles, hoses, compressors and pumps during operations
– use hand tools, portable power tools and equipment
– work at height
– use access equipment.
- 7.6 - Describe the needs of other occupations and how to effectively communicate within a team when applying sprayed concrete.
- 7.7 - Describe how to maintain the tools and equipment used when applying sprayed concrete.