||Interpret the given information relating to the preparation and using scissor-type MEWPs to access areas to carry out the work.
- 1.1 - Interpret and extract relevant information from drawings, specifications, schedules, method statements, risk assessments and manufacturers' information.
- 1.2 - Comply with information and/or instructions derived from risk assessments and method statements.
- 1.3 - Describe the organisational procedures developed to report and rectify inappropriate information and unsuitable resources and how they are implemented.
- 1.4 - Describe different types of information, their source and how they are interpreted in relation to:
- drawings, specifications, schedules, method statements, risk assessments, manufacturers' information and current regulations governing the operation of plant and machinery used as work platforms.
||Organise with others the sequence and operation in which accessing operations using scissor-type MEWPs are to be carried out.
- 2.1 - Organise the work according to given information or instructions.
- 2.2 - Describe how to communicate ideas between team members.
- 2.3 - Organise and communicate with team members and other associated occupations.
- 2.4 - Describe how to organise resources prior to and during accessing operations.
||Know how to comply with relevant legislation and official guidance when carrying out accessing operations using scissor-type MEWPs.
- 3.1 - Describe their responsibilities regarding potential accidents, health hazards and the environment whilst working:
- in the workplace, below ground level, in confined spaces, at height, with tools and equipment, with materials and substances, with movement/storage of materials and by manual handling and mechanical lifting.
- 3.2 - Describe the organisational security procedures for tools, equipment and personal belongings in relation to site, workplace, company and operative.
- 3.3 - Explain what the accident reporting procedures are and who is responsible for making reports.
||Maintain safe and healthy working practices when preparing for and carrying out accessing operations using scissor-type MEWPs.
- 4.1 - Use health and safety control equipment safely and comply with the methods of work to carry out the activity in accordance with legislation and organisational requirements during accessing operations.
- 4.2 - Demonstrate compliance with given information and relevant legislation when carrying out accessing operations using scissor-type MEWPs in relation to two or more of the following:
- safe use and storage of plant or machinery
- safe use and storage of tools and equipment
- specific risks to health.
- 4.3 - Explain why and when health and safety control equipment, identified by the principles of protection, should be used, relating to accessing operations, and the types, purpose and limitations of each type, the work situation and general work environment, in relation to:
- collective protective measures
- personal protective equipment (PPE)
- respiratory protective equipment (RPE)
- local exhaust ventilation (LEV).
- 4.4 - Describe how the relevant health and safety control equipment should be used in accordance with the given working instructions.
- 4.5 - Describe how emergencies should be responded to in accordance with organisational authorisation and personal skills when involved with fires, spillages, injuries, other task-related activities and rescue plans.
||Request and select the required quantity and quality of resources to prepare for and carry out accessing operations using scissor-type MEWPs.
- 5.1 - Request and select resources associated with scissor-type MEWPs in relation to consumables, materials, tools, ancillary equipment and/or accessories.
- 5.2 - Describe the characteristics, quality, uses, sustainability, limitations and defects associated with the resources, and how they should be used correctly, relating to:
- consumables, lubricants and fuels
- attachments and accessing aids
- hand tools, ancillary equipment and accessories.
- 5.3 - Describe how the resources should be used correctly, how problems associated with the resources are reported.
- 5.4 - Explain why the organisational procedures have been developed and how they are used for the selection of required resources.
- 5.5 - Describe any potential hazards associated with the resources and methods of work.
- 5.6 - Describe how to identify weight, quantity, length and area associated with the method/procedures to operate scissor-type mobile elevating work platforms used for accessing operations.
||Minimise the risk of damage to the work and surrounding area when preparing to and accessing work areas.
- 6.1 - Protect the work and its surrounding area from damage in accordance with safe working practices and organisational procedures.
- 6.2 - Prevent damage and maintain a clean work space.
- 6.3 - Dispose of waste in accordance with current legislation.
- 6.4 - Describe how to protect work from damage and the purpose of protection in relation to general workplace activities, other occupations and adverse weather conditions.
- 6.5 - Explain why the disposal of waste should be carried out safely in accordance with environmental responsibilities, organisational procedures, manufacturers' information, statutory regulations and official guidance.
||Complete the work within the allocated time when preparing to and accessing work areas using scissor-type MEWPs.
- 7.1 - Demonstrate completion of the work within the allocated time.
- 7.2 - Describe the purpose of the work programme and describe why deadlines should be kept in relation to:
- types of progress charts, timetables and estimated times
- organisational procedures for reporting circumstances which will affect the work programme.
||Comply with the given contract information to access areas to carry out work using scissor-type MEWPs to the required specification.
- 8.1 - Demonstrate the following work skills when preparing for and accessing work areas using scissor-type MEWPs:
- checking, setting up, adjusting, communicating, manoeuvring, positioning, accessing and setting down.
- 8.2 - Use and maintain hand tools, ancillary equipment and/or accessories.
- 8.3 - Prepare for, position, set up and operate scissor-type MEWPs to access working areas, at various locations, to given working instructions.
- 8.4 - Shut down and secure scissor-type MEWPs.
- 8.5 - Describe how to apply safe and healthy work practices, follow procedures, report problems and establish authority needed to rectify, to:
– identify the characteristics of the scissor-type MEWP used for accessing work
– identify valid certification for maintenance, inspection and thorough examination
– carry out function checks for accessing operation
– prepare, set up and adjust for operational requirements
– carry out pre-operational checks for obstructions, stability, and ground conditions affecting the work and surrounding area
– identify and remain aware of the area of operation to include potential entrapment situations
– use fall prevention equipment
– check to avoid damage to structures and utilities service apparatus.
- 8.6 - Describe how to apply safe and healthy work practices, follow procedures, report problems and establish authority needed to rectify, to:
- position and secure MEWP for accessing operations
- recognise and determine when specific skills and knowledge are required and report accordingly
- operate, manoeuvre, position, set down and secure
- operate and travel on the public highway
- shut down and secure the MEWP
- use hand tools, ancillary equipment and accessories.
- 8.7 - Describe the needs of other occupations and how to effectively communicate within a team when preparing to and carrying out accessing operations.
- 8.8 - Describe how to maintain the plant and machinery, hand tools, ancillary equipment used to access working areas.