Know the main characteristics of the private security industry.
- 1.1. - Identify the key purposes of the private security industry.
- 1.2. - State the functions of the Security Industry Authority (SIA).
- 1.3. -
Identify standards of behaviour required of a security operative.
- 1.4. -
Identify different sectors within the private security industry.
- 1.5. -
Identify the benefits of linking with crime reduction initiatives.
Understand legislation as it applies to the individual in carrying out a licensable activity.
- 2.1. -
Identify the differences between civil and criminal Law.
- 2.2. - State the main aims of the Private Security Industry Act 2001.
- 2.3. - Identify key legislation relating to promoting equality and diversity in the workplace.
Understand the importance of safe working practices to comply with legal requirements.
- 3.1. - State the importance of health and safety in the work environment.
- 3.2. - State the meaning of 'duty of care'.
- 3.3. - Identify the responsibilities of employees, employers and the self-employed under health and safety at work legislation.
- 3.4. - Identify methods for safe manual handling.
- 3.5. - Recognise ‘risks’ in relation to health and safety at work.
- 3.6. - State how to minimise risk to personal safety and security.
- 3.7. - Identify typical workplace hazards.
- 3.8. - Identify safety signs and signals.
- 3.9. - State reporting procedures for health and safety accidents and incidents.
- 3.10. - Identify who to contact in first aid situations.
Understand fire procedures in the workplace.
- 4.1. - Identify basic fire safety measures.
- 4.2. - Identify the elements that must be present for fire to exist.
- 4.3. - Identify classifications of fire.
- 4.4. - Identify basic fire fighting equipment.
- 4.5. - State the different types of fire extinguishers and their uses.
- 4.6. - State the actions to be taken upon discovering a fire.
- 4.7. - State the importance of understanding fire control panels.
- 4.8. - State the importance of understanding fire evacuation procedures.
- 4.9. - Identify the role and responsibilities of a fire marshal.
Understand emergencies and the importance of emergency procedures.
- 5.1. - Identify responses to different types of emergencies.
- 5.2. - State how to make emergency calls.
- 5.3. - Identify actions to be taken in the event of personal injury.
- 5.4. - Identify factors which may indicate individuals could be vulnerable and at risk of harm.
- 5.5. - State actions to take when individuals have been identified as vulnerable and at risk of harm.
- 5.6. - Identify how to report indicators of child sexual exploitation.
- 5.7. - Identify behaviours that could indicate suspicious or terrorist activity.
- 5.8. - Identify actions to be taken in the event of a security threat.
- 5.9. -
State the importance of a business continuity plan.
Understand the importance of communication skills and customer care.
- 6.1. - State the basic elements of communication.
- 6.2. - Identify the different types of communication.
- 6.3. - State the importance of communication in delivering customer care.
- 6.4. - Identify different types of customers and how their needs can vary.
- 6.5. - State the principles of customer care.
- 6.6. - Identify best practice in relation to telephone communications.
- 6.7. - Identify best practice in relation to radio communications.
- 6.8. - Recognise the call signs of the NATO phonetic alphabet.