||Interpret the given information relating to the work and resources when reshaping using hand sawing techniques.
- 1.1 - Interpret and extract relevant information from drawings, specifications, schedules, method statements, risk assessments and manufacturers' information
- 1.2 - Comply with information and/or instructions derived from risk assessments and method statements.
- 1.3 - Describe the organisational procedures developed to report and rectify inappropriate information and unsuitable resources and how they are implemented.
- 1.4 - Describe different types of information, their source and how they are interpreted in relation to:
- drawings, specifications, schedules, method statements, risk assessments, work instructions, electronic data, manufacturers' information, and current regulations.
||Know how to comply with relevant legislation and official guidance when reshaping using hand sawing techniques.
- 2.1 - Describe their responsibilities regarding potential accidents, health hazards and the environment, whilst working:
- in the workplace, below ground level, in confined spaces, at height, with tools and equipment, with materials and substances, with movement/storage of materials and by manual handling and mechanical lifting.
- 2.2 - Describe the organisational security procedures for tools, equipment and personal belongings in relation to site, workplace, company and operative.
- 2.3 - Explain what the accident reporting procedures are and who is responsible for making reports.
||Maintain safe and healthy working practices when reshaping using hand sawing techniques.
- 3.1 - Use health and safety control equipment and comply with the methods of work safely to carry out the activity in accordance with current legislation and organisational requirements when reshaping using hand sawing techniques.
- 3.2 - Demonstrate compliance with given information and relevant legislation when reshaping using hand sawing techniques in relation to two of the following:
- safe use of access equipment
- safe use and storage of materials, tools and equipment
- specific risks to health
- provision of lighting and ventilation
- 3.3 - Explain why and when health and safety control equipment, identified by the principles of protection, should be used, relating to reshaping using hand sawing techniques, and the types, purpose and limitations of each type, the work situation and general work environment, in relation to:
- collective protective measures
- personal protective equipment (PPE)
- respiratory protective equipment (RPE)
- local exhaust ventilation (LEV).
- 3.4 - Describe how the relevant health and safety control equipment should be used in accordance with the given instructions.
- 3.5 - Describe how emergencies should be responded to in accordance with organisational authorisation and personal skills when involved with fires, spillages, injuries and other task-related hazards.
||Select the required quantity and quality of resources for the methods of work to reshape using hand sawing techniques.
- 4.1 - Select resources associated with own work in relation to materials, components, fixings, tools and equipment.
- 4.2 - Describe the characteristics, quality, uses, sustainability, limitations and defects associated with the resources in relation to:
- consumables, including blades
- angle grinders, power saws, ring saws, chainsaws
- hand tools, portable power tools and ancillary equipment.
- 4.3 - Describe how the resources should be used correctly and how problems associated with the resources are reported.
- 4.4 - Explain why the organisational procedures have been developed and how they are used for the selection of required resources.
- 4.5 - Describe any potential hazards associated with the resources and methods of work.
- 4.6 - Describe how to calculate quantity, length, volume and area associated with the method/procedure to reshape using hand sawing techniques.
||Minimise the risk of damage to the work and surrounding area when reshaping using hand sawing techniques.
- 5.1 - Protect the work and its surrounding area from damage in accordance with safe working practices and organisational procedures.
- 5.2 - Minimise damage and maintain a clean work space.
- 5.3 - Dispose of waste in accordance with current legislation.
- 5.4 - Describe how to protect work from damage and the purpose of protection in relation to general workplace activities, other occupations and adverse weather conditions.
- 5.5 - Explain why the disposal of waste should be carried out safely in accordance with environmental responsibilities, organisational procedures, manufacturers' information, statutory regulations and official guidance.
||Complete the work within the allocated time when reshaping using hand sawing techniques.
- 6.1 - Demonstrate completion of the work within the allocated time.
- 6.2 - Describe the purpose of the work programme and explain why deadlines should be kept in relation to:
- types of progress charts, timetables and estimated times
- organisational procedures for reporting circumstances which will affect the work programme.
||Comply with the given contract information to reshape using hand sawing techniques to the required specification.
- 7.1 - Demonstrate the following work skills when reshaping using hand sawing techniques:
- measuring, chasing, checking, confirming, setting up, securing, aligning, connecting, cutting, reporting and recording.
- 7.2 - Use and maintain hand tools, portable power tools, ancillary equipment, angle grinder and one from the following
- power saw
- ring saw
- chasing machine
- 7.3 - Form saw cuts in one of the following to given working instructions, relating to vertical and/or horizontal surfaces:
- 7.4 - Measure and record work details on completion of forming saw cuts.
- 7.5 - Describe how to apply safe and healthy work practices, follow procedures, report problems and establish the authority needed to rectify them, to:
- complete pre-start and post stop checks
- set up and operate: angle grinders, power saws, ring saws, chainsaws and chasing machines
- locate and protect services (water, gas, electric, waste)
- apply coolant and lubricants
- form openings and cut to line, depth and size
- deal with voids
- 7.6 - Describe how to apply safe and healthy work practices, follow procedures, report problems and establish the authority needed to rectify them, to:
– monitor and control exposure to vibration
– report, record and maintain records
– recognise and determine when specific skills and knowledge are required and report accordingly
– use hand tools, portable power tools and equipment using different power sources (three phase, cordless, mains, fuel driven and generator linked)
– work at height
– use access equipment.
- 7.7 - Describe the needs of other occupations and how to effectively communicate within a team when reshaping using hand sawing techniques.
- 7.8 - Describe how to maintain the tools and equipment used when reshaping using hand sawing techniques.