||Interpret the given information relating to the preparation and use of ride-on rollers to carry out compacting operations.
- 1.1 - Interpret and extract relevant information from drawings, specifications, schedules, risk assessments and manufacturers' information.
- 1.2 - Comply with information and/or instructions derived from risk assessments and method statements.
- 1.3 - Describe the organisational procedures developed to report and rectify inappropriate information and unsuitable resources and how they are implemented.
- 1.4 - Describe different types of information, their source and how they are interpreted in relation to:
- drawings, specifications, schedules, method statements, risk assessments, manufacturers' information, and current regulations governing the operation of ride-on rollers for compaction work.
||Organise with others the sequence and operation in which compacting operations using ride-on rollers are to be carried out.
- 2.1 - Organise the work according to given information or instructions.
- 2.2 - Describe how to communicate ideas between team members.
- 2.3 - Organise and communicate with team members and other associated occupations.
- 2.4 - Describe how to organise resources prior to and during compacting operations using ride-on rollers.
||Know how to comply with relevant legislation and official guidance when carrying out compacting operations using ride-on rollers.
- 3.1 - Describe their responsibilities regarding potential accidents, health hazards and the environment whilst working:
- in the workplace, below ground level, in confined spaces, at height, with tools and equipment, with materials and substances, with movement/storage of materials and by manual handling and mechanical lifting.
- 3.2 - Describe the organisational security procedures for tools, equipment and personal belongings in relation to site, workplace, company and operative.
- 3.3 - Explain what the accident reporting procedures are and who is responsible for making reports.
||Maintain safe and healthy working practices when preparing for and carrying out compacting operations using ride-on rollers.
- 4.1 - Use health and safety control equipment safely and comply with the methods of work to carry out the activity in accordance with legislation and organisational requirements during compacting operations.
- 4.2 - Demonstrate compliance with given information and relevant legislation when carrying out compacting operations using ride-on rollers in relation to two or more of the following:
- safe use and storage of plant or machinery
- safe use and storage of tools and equipment
- specific risks to health.
- 4.3 - Explain why and when health and safety control equipment, identified by the principles of protection, should be used, relating to ride-on roller use, and the types, purpose and limitations of each type, the work situation and general work environment, in relation to:
- collective protective measures
- personal protective equipment (PPE)
- respiratory protective equipment (RPE)
- local exhaust ventilation (LEV).
- 4.4 - Describe how the relevant health and safety control equipment should be used in accordance with the given working instructions.
- 4.5 - Describe how emergencies should be responded to in accordance with organisational authorisation and personal skills when involved with fires, spillages, injuries and other task-related activities.
||Request and select the required quantity and quality of resources to prepare for and carry out compacting operations using ride-on rollers.
- 5.1 - Request and select resources associated with ride-on rollers in relation to consumables, materials, tools, ancillary equipment and/or accessories.
- 5.2 - Describe the characteristics, quality, uses, sustainability, limitations and defects associated with the resources, and how they should be used correctly, relating to:
- consumables, lubricants and fuels
- attachments and compaction operational aids
- hand tools, ancillary equipment and accessories.
- 5.3 - Describe how the resources should be used correctly and how problems associated with the resources are reported.
- 5.4 - Explain why the organisational procedures have been developed and how they are used for the selection of required resources.
- 5.5 - Describe any potential hazards associated with the resources and methods of work.
- 5.6 - Describe how to identify weight, pressure, quantity, length and area associated with the method/procedures to carry out compaction work using ride-on rollers.
||Minimise the risk of damage to the work and surrounding area when preparing for and compacting materials.
- 6.1 - Protect the work and its surrounding area from damage in accordance with safe working practices and organisational procedures.
- 6.2 - Prevent damage and maintain a clean work space.
- 6.3 - Dispose of waste in accordance with current legislation.
- 6.4 - Describe how to protect work from damage and the purpose of protection in relation to general workplace activities, other occupations and adverse weather conditions.
- 6.5 - Explain why the disposal of waste should be carried out safely in accordance with environmental responsibilities, organisational procedures, manufacturers' information, statutory regulations and official guidance.
||Complete the work within the allocated time when preparing to and compacting materials.
- 7.1 - Demonstrate completion of the work within the allocated time.
- 7.2 - Describe the purpose of the work programme and describe why deadlines should be kept in relation to:
- types of progress charts, timetables and estimated times
- organisational procedures for reporting circumstances which will affect the work programme.
||Comply with the given contract information to compact materials using ride-on rollers to the required specification.
- 8.1 - Demonstrate the following work skills when preparing for and compacting materials using ride-on rollers:
- checking, adjusting, communicating, manoeuvring, positioning and compacting.
- 8.2 - Use and maintain hand tools, ancillary equipment and/or accessories.
- 8.3 - Prepare for, position, set up and operate ride-on rollers to compact a variety of materials, in various locations, to given working instructions.
- 8.4 - Shut down and secure ride-on rollers.
- 8.5 - Describe how to apply safe and healthy work practices, follow procedures, report problems and establish authority needed to rectify, to:
– identify the characteristics of the ride-on roller used for compaction operations
– carry out function checks for compaction operations
– identify the area for the compaction work
– prepare, set up and adjust for operational requirements
– carry out pre-operational checks for obstructions, stability, safety and security of the work and surrounding area
– identify geological, environmental and material changes and report
– check to avoid damage to structures and utilities service apparatus
– recognise different compaction methods
– recognise and work compaction patterns
– recognise and determine when specific skills and knowledge are required and report accordingly
– compact materials safely and securely
– complete compaction work
– be on the public highway
– shut down and secure the ride-on roller
– use hand tools, ancillary equipment and accessories.
- 8.6 - Describe the needs of other occupations and how to effectively communicate within a team when preparing to and carrying out compacting operations.
- 8.7 - Describe how to maintain the plant and machinery, hand tools and ancillary equipment used to compact materials.