||Interpret the given information relating to the work and resources when installing plant or machinery for operational activities.
- 1.1 - Interpret and extract relevant information from drawings, specifications, schedules, method statements, risk assessments, installation manuals and manufacturers' information.
- 1.2 - Comply with information and/or instructions derived from risk assessments and method statements.
- 1.3 - Describe the organisational procedures developed to report and rectify inappropriate information and unsuitable resources and how they are implemented.
- 1.4 - Describe different types of information, their source and how they are interpreted in relation to:
- drawings, specifications, schedules, method statements, risk assessments, installation manuals manufacturers' information and current regulations associated with the installation of plant and machinery.
||Know how to comply with relevant legislation and official guidance when installing plant or machinery for operational activities.
- 2.1 - Describe their responsibilities regarding potential accidents and health hazards, whilst working:
- in the workplace, below ground level, at height, in confined spaces, with tools and equipment, with materials and substances, with movement/storage of materials and by manual handling and mechanical lifting.
- 2.2 - Describe the organisational security procedures for tools, equipment and personal belongings in relation to site, workplace, company and operative.
- 2.3 - Explain what the accident reporting procedures are and who is responsible for making reports.
||Maintain safe and healthy working practices when installing plant or machinery for operational activities.
- 3.1 - Use health and safety control equipment and access equipment (if applicable) safely to carry out the activity in accordance with current legislation and organisational requirements when installing plant or machinery for operational activities.
- 3.2 - Comply with information relating to specific risks to health when installing plant or machinery for operational activities.
- 3.3 - Explain why and when health and safety control equipment, identified by the principles of protection, should be used, relating to installing plant or machinery for operational activities and the types, purpose and limitations of each type, the work situation and general work environment, in relation to:
- collective protective measures
- personal protective equipment (PPE)
- respiratory protective equipment (RPE)
- local exhaust ventilation (LEV).
- 3.4 - Describe how the relevant health and safety control equipment should be used in accordance with the given instructions.
- 3.5 - Describe how emergencies should be responded to in accordance with organisational authorisation and personal skills when involved with fires, spillages, injuries and other task-related hazards.
||Select the required quantity and quality of resources for the methods of work to install plant or machinery for operational activities.
- 4.1 - Select resources associated with own work in relation to materials, components, fixings, tools, equipment and consumables.
- 4.2 - Describe the characteristics, quality, uses, sustainability limitations and defects associated with the resources in relation to:
- lifting accessories
- fastening, ties, anchors and fixings
- measuring and levelling equipment
- hand tools, portable powered tools and equipment.
- 4.3 - Describe how the resources should be used correctly and how problems associated with the resources are reported.
- 4.4 - Explain why the organisational procedures have been developed and how they are used for the selection of required resources.
- 4.5 - Describe any potential hazards associated with the resources and methods of work.
- 4.6 - Describe how to calculate quantity, length, volume, area and wastage associated with the method/procedure to install plant or machinery for operational activities.
||Minimise the risk of damage to the work and surrounding area when installing plant or machinery for operational activities.
- 5.1 - Protect the work and its surrounding area from damage in accordance with safe working practices and organisational procedures.
- 5.2 - Minimise damage and maintain a clean work space.
- 5.3 - Dispose of waste in accordance with current legislation.
- 5.4 - Describe how to protect work from damage and the purpose of protection in relation to general workplace activities, other occupations and adverse weather conditions.
- 5.5 - Explain why the disposal of waste should be carried out safely in accordance with environmental responsibilities, organisational procedures, manufacturers' information, statutory regulations and official guidance.
||Complete the work within the allocated time when installing plant or machinery for operational activities.
- 6.1 - Demonstrate completion of the work within the allocated time.
- 6.2 - Describe the purpose of the work programme and explain why deadlines should be kept in relation to:
- types of progress charts, timetables and estimated times
- organisational procedures for reporting circumstances which will affect the work programme.
||Comply with the given contract information to install plant or machinery for operational activities to the required specification.
- 7.1 - Demonstrate the following work skills when installing plant or machinery for operational activities:
- measuring, marking, aligning, laying, levelling, plumbing, adjusting, fitting, connecting, fixing, fastening and securing.
- 7.2 - Install plant or machinery to given working instructions for one of the following types:
- crane (mobile or ringer)
- tower crane
- hoist (passenger, goods or building maintenance units)
- rig (demolition, piling or drilling)
- excavation or vacuum plant or machinery
- batching, mixing or blending plants
- crushing or screening plants
- power generation equipment
- climate management machines
- concrete placing boom.
- 7.3 - Complete functional, operational and safety checks on plant or machinery, to given working instructions.
- 7.4 - Complete and maintain records when installing plant or machinery for operational activities.
- 7.5 - Safely use and handle materials, hand tools, portable power tools, measuring instruments and ancillary equipment.
- 7.6 - Safely store the materials, tools and equipment used when installing plant or machinery for operational activities.
- 7.7 - Describe how to apply safe and healthy work practices, follow procedures, report problems and establish the authority needed to rectify them, to:
– install plant and machinery; mobile and ringer cranes, tower cranes, passenger and goods hoists, piling and drilling rigs, excavation plant or machinery, batching plants, crushing and screening plants, power generation equipment, pumps, climate management machines
– assess suitability of conditions for installation requirements (site layout, location, availability of space, levels, prevailing weather conditions)
– operate and control lifting equipment and lifting aids
– confirm the integrity of lifting accessories
– consider the resources required for the installation of plant and machinery
– confirm parts, components, attachments, accessories are available to complete the installation
– secure plant and machinery parts and components for movement and lifting into position
– align, attach and secure plant and machinery parts and components (tied in, pinned, clamped, bolted and screwed)
– fixing plant or machinery to load bearing structures
– install and test anchors and ties
– route, lay, connect and secure cables, pipes and hoses
– connect power supplies
– make adjustments to ensure optimum operational function
– liaise with client, customer or their representatives
– deal with damages and defects that can occur during installation, misaligned components, cracked casings and housings, leaks, scoring and marking of parts and components and breakages
– confirm installation functionality meets quality expectations
– complete functional operational and safety checks
– use hand tools, portable power tools and equipment
– work at height
– use access equipment
– complete and maintain records.
- 7.8 - Describe the needs of other occupations and how to effectively communicate within a team when installing plant or machinery for operational activities.
- 7.9 - Describe how to maintain the tools and equipment used when installing plant or machinery for operational activities.