||Interpret the given information relating to the work and resources when contributing to the piling operation.
- 1.1 - Interpret and extract relevant information from drawings, instructions, specifications, schedules, method statements, risk assessments and manufacturers' information.
- 1.2 - Comply with information and/or instructions derived from risk assessments and method statement.
- 1.3 - State the organisational procedures developed to report and rectify inappropriate information and unsuitable resources and how they are implemented.
- 1.4 - Describe different types of information, their source and how they are interpreted in relation to:
- drawings, instructions, specifications, schedules method statements, risk assessments, manufacturers' information, tool box talks, daily briefings, certificates and permits.
||Know how to comply with relevant legislation and official guidance when contributing to the piling operation.
- 2.1 - Describe their responsibilities under current legislation and official guidance whilst working:
- in the workplace, below ground level, in confined spaces, at height, with tools and equipment, with materials and substances, with movement/storage of materials and by manual handling and mechanical lifting.
- 2.2 - Describe the organisational security procedures for tools, equipment and personal belongings in relation to site, workplace, company and operative.
- 2.3 - Explain what the accident reporting procedures are and who is responsible for making reports.
- 2.4 - State the types of fire extinguishers available when contributing to piling operations and describe how and when they are used.
||Maintain safe working practices when contributing to the piling operation.
- 3.1 - Use health and safety control equipment safely to carry out the activity in accordance with legislation and organisational requirements when contributing to the piling operation.
- 3.2 - Explain why and when health and safety control equipment, identified by the principles of protection, should be used, relating to contributing to the piling operation, and the types, purpose and limitations of each type, the work situation and general work environment, in relation to:
- collective protective measures
- personal protective equipment (PPE)
- respiratory protective equipment (RPE)
- local exhaust ventilation (LEV).
- 3.3 - Describe how the relevant health and safety control equipment should be used in accordance with the given instructions.
- 3.4 - State how emergencies should be responded to in accordance with organisational authorisation and personal skills when involved with fires, spillages, injuries and other task-related hazards.
||Select the required quantity and quality of resources for the methods of work to contribute to the piling operation.
- 4.1 - Select resources associated with own work in relation to materials, components, fixings, tools and equipment.
- 4.2 - Describe the characteristics, quality, uses, sustainability, limitations and defects associated with the resources in relation to:
- hand and/or powered tools, machinery and ancillary equipment.
- 4.3 - Describe how the resources should be used correctly and how problems associated with the resources are reported.
- 4.4 - Explain why the organisational procedures have been developed and how they are used for the selection of required resources.
- 4.5 - Describe any potential hazards associated with the resources and method of work.
||Minimise the risk of damage to the work and surrounding area when contributing to the piling operation.
- 5.1 - Protect the work and its surrounding area from damage in accordance with safe working practices and organisational procedures.
- 5.2 - Minimise damage and maintain a clean work space.
- 5.3 - Dispose of waste in accordance with legislation.
- 5.4 - Describe how to protect work from damage and the purpose of protection in relation to general workplace activities, others involved with the work and adverse weather conditions.
- 5.5 - Explain why the disposal of waste should be carried out safely in accordance with environmental responsibilities, organisational procedures, manufacturers' information, statutory regulations and official guidance.
||Complete the work within the allocated time when contributing to the piling operation.
- 6.1 - Demonstrate completion of the work within the allocated time.
- 6.2 - State the purpose of the work programme and explain why deadlines should be kept in relation to:
- types of progress charts, timetables and estimated time
- organisational procedures for reporting circumstances which will affect the work programme.
||Comply with the given contract information to contribute to the piling operation to the required specification.
- 7.1 - Demonstrate the following work skills when contributing to the piling operation:
- measuring, communicating, preparing, positioning, fitting, securing, removing, cleaning and maintaining.
- 7.2 - Install, or contribute to the installation of, bored and/or driven piles and/or specialist works to given working instructions, using one of the following methods:
- sheet piling
- driven piling
- rotary bored kelly bar piling
- driven cast-in-situ piling
- sectional auger piling (mini piling)
- continuous flight auger piling
- displacement flight auger
- slurry walling
- tripod piling
- vibro piling
- diaphragm walling.
- 7.3 - Safely use materials, hand tools, machinery and ancillary equipment.
- 7.4 - Safely store the materials, tools and equipment used when contributing to the piling operation.
- 7.5 - Describe how to apply safe work practices, follow procedures, report problems and establish the authority needed to rectify them, to:
– install, or contribute to the installation of, piles using one of the following methods: sheet piling; driven piling; rotary bored kelly bar piling; driven cast-in-situ piling; sectional auger piling (mini piling); continuous flight auger piling; displacement flight auger piling; slurry walling; tripod piling; vibro piling; diaphragm walling
– use hand tools, machinery and ancillary equipment.
- 7.6 - Describe the needs of other occupations and how to effectively communicate within a team when contributing to the piling operation.
- 7.7 - Describe how to maintain the tools, machinery and equipment used when contributing to the piling operation.