||Interpret the given information relating to the work and resources when laying flexible pavements.
- 1.1 - Interpret and extract relevant information from drawings, risk assessments, method statements, specifications, schedules and manufacturers' information.
- 1.2 - Comply with information and/or instructions derived from risk assessments and method statements
- 1.3 - Describe the organisational procedures developed to report and rectify inappropriate information and unsuitable resources and how they are implemented
- 1.4 - Describe different types of information, their source and how they are interpreted in relation to:
- drawings, specifications, schedules, risk assessments, method statements, manufacturers' information and regulations governing the laying of flexible pavement.
||Know how to comply with relevant legislation and official guidance when laying flexible pavements.
- 2.1 - Describe their responsibilities regarding potential accidents and health hazards, whilst working:
- in the workplace, below ground level, with tools and equipment, with materials and substances, with movement/storage of materials and by manual handling and mechanical lifting.
- 2.2 - Describe the organisational security procedures for tools, equipment and personal belongings in relation to site, workplace, company and operative.
- 2.3 - Explain what the accident reporting procedures are and who is responsible for making reports.
||Maintain safe and healthy working practices when laying flexible pavements.
- 3.1 - Use health and safety control equipment safely to carry out the activity in accordance with current legislation and organisational requirements when laying flexible pavements.
- 3.2 - Comply with information relating to specific risks to health when laying flexible pavements.
- 3.3 - Explain why and when health and safety control equipment, identified by the principles of protection, should be used, relating to laying flexible pavements and the types, purpose and limitations of each type, the work situation and general work environment, in relation to:
- collective protective measures
- personal protective equipment (PPE)
- respiratory protective equipment (RPE)
- local exhaust ventilation (LEV).
- 3.4 - Describe how the relevant health and safety control equipment should be used in accordance with the given instructions.
- 3.5 - Describe how emergencies should be responded to in accordance with organisational authorisation and personal skills when involved with fires, spillages, injuries and other task-related hazards.
||Select the required quantity and quality of resources for the methods of work to lay flexible pavements
- 4.1 - Select resources associated with own work in relation to materials, tools and equipment.
- 4.2 - Describe the characteristics, quality, uses, sustainability, limitations and defects associated with the resources in relation to:
- sub-base and bituminous surface materials, bitumen sealer and emulsion
- hand and/or powered tools and ancillary equipment.
- 4.3 - Describe how the resources should be used correctly and how problems associated with the resources are reported.
- 4.4 - Explain why the organisational procedures have been developed and how they are used for the selection of required resources.
- 4.5 - Describe any potential hazards associated with the resources and methods of work.
- 4.6 - Describe how to calculate quantity, length, area and wastage associated with the method/procedure to lay flexible pavements.
||Minimise the risk of damage to the work and surrounding area when laying flexible pavements.
- 5.1 - Protect the work and its surrounding area from damage in accordance with safe working practices and organisational procedures.
- 5.2 - Minimise damage and maintain a clean work space.
- 5.3 - Dispose of waste in accordance with current legislation.
- 5.4 - Describe how to protect work from damage and the purpose of protection in relation to general workplace activities, other occupations and adverse weather conditions.
- 5.5 - Explain why the disposal of waste should be carried out safely in accordance with environmental responsibilities, organisational procedures, manufacturers' information, statutory regulations and official guidance.
||Complete the work within the allocated time when laying flexible pavements.
- 6.1 - Demonstrate completion of the work within the allocated time.
- 6.2 - Describe the purpose of the work programme and explain why deadlines should be kept in relation to:
- types of progress charts, timetables and estimated times
- organisational procedures for reporting circumstances which will affect the work programme.
||Comply with the given contract information to lay flexible pavements to the required specification
- 7.1 - Demonstrate the following work skills when laying flexible pavements:
- measuring, marking out, laying, spreading, rolling, compacting and finishing.
- 7.2 - Lay flexible pavement to given working instructions relating to:
- sub-base construction
- bituminous surface material.
- 7.3 - Safely use materials, hand tools, portable power tools and ancillary equipment.
- 7.4 - Safely store the materials, tools and equipment used when laying flexible pavements.
- 7.5 - Describe how to apply safe and healthy work practices, follow procedures, report problems and establish the authority needed to rectify them, to:
- prepare the area for laying of flexible pavement
- assess the suitability of flexible pavement materials
- lay, compact and finish sub-base and bituminous surface of the flexible pavement
- work with plant or machinery
- use hand tools, power tools and equipment.
- 7.6 - Describe the needs of other occupations and how to effectively communicate within a team when laying flexible pavements.
- 7.7 - Describe how to maintain the tools and equipment used when laying flexible pavements.