||Interpret the given information relating to the work and resources when installing and setting up provision for fall protection.
- 1.1 - Interpret and extract information from plans, specifications, method statements, risk assessments, schedules and manufacturers' information.
- 1.2 - Comply with information and/or instructions derived from risk assessments and method statement.
- 1.3 - State the organisational procedures developed to report and rectify inappropriate information and unsuitable resources and how they are implemented.
- 1.4 - Describe different types of information, their source and how they are interpreted in relation to:
- plans, specifications, method statements, risk assessments, schedules, manufacturers' information, permit systems, standards, regulations and official guidance.
||Know how to comply with relevant legislation and official guidance when installing and setting up provision for fall protection.
- 2.1 - Describe their responsibilities under current legislation and official guidance whilst working:
- in the workplace, below ground level, in confined spaces, at height, with tools and equipment, with materials and substances, with movement/storage of materials and by manual handling and mechanical lifting.
- 2.2 - Describe the organisational security procedures for tools, equipment and personal belongings in relation to site, workplace, company and operative.
- 2.3 - State what the accident reporting procedures are and who is responsible for making reports.
||Maintain safe working practices when installing and setting up provision for fall protection.
- 3.1 - Use personal protective equipment (PPE) and access equipment safely to carry out the activity in accordance with legislation and organisational requirements when installing and setting up provision for fall protection.
- 3.2 - Explain why, when and how personal protective equipment (PPE) should be used, relating to installing and setting up provision for fall protection, and the types, purpose and limitations of each type.
- 3.3 - State how emergencies should be responded to in accordance with organisational authorisation and personal skills when involved with fires, spillages, injuries and other task-related hazards.
||Select the required quantity and quality of resources for the methods of work to install and set up provision for fall protection.
- 4.1 - Describe the characteristics, quality, uses, limitations and defects associated with the resources in relation to:
- support posts
- end terminations
- tensioners and swage/swageless fittings
- steel or synthetic cable
- bolts, rivets, toggles etc.
- anchors and ties
- fall protection equipment
- hand tools and ancillary equipment.
- 4.2 - Select resources associated with own work in relation to materials, components, fixings/anchors and ties, tools and equipment.
- 4.3 - State how the resources should be used correctly, how problems associated with the resources are reported and how the organisational procedures are used.
- 4.4 - Outline potential hazards associated with the resources and method of work.
- 4.5 - Describe how to calculate quantity, length and area associated with the method/procedure to install and set up provision for fall protection.
||Minimise the risk of damage to the work and surrounding area when installing and setting up provision for fall protection.
- 5.1 - Protect the work and its surrounding area from damage.
- 5.2 - Minimise damage and maintain a clean work space.
- 5.3 - Describe how to protect work from damage and the purpose of protection in relation to general workplace activities, other occupations and adverse weather conditions.
- 5.4 - Dispose of waste in accordance with legislation.
- 5.5 - State why the disposal of waste should be carried out safely in accordance with environmental responsibilities, organisational procedures, manufacturers' information, statutory regulations and official guidance.
||Complete the work within the allocated time when installing and setting up provision for fall protection.
- 6.1 - Demonstrate completion of the work within the allocated time.
- 6.2 - State the purpose of the work programme and explain why deadlines should be kept in relation to:
- types of progress charts, timetables and estimated times
- organisational procedures for reporting circumstances which will affect the work programme.
||Comply with the given contract information to install and set up provision for fall protection to the required specification.
- 7.1 - Demonstrate the following work skills when installing and setting up provision for fall protection:
- measuring, setting out, positioning, installing, fixing, securing, checking and removing.
- 7.2 - Install and set up provision for fall protection to given working instructions, using recognised anchor points with:
- secured steelwork structures
- wire and rope systems
- permanently installed anchorage points
- temporarily installed anchorage points.
- 7.3 - Describe how to apply safe work practices, follow procedures, report problems and establish the authority needed to rectify them, to:
- confirm the area to secure and provide for fall protection anchorage
- determine/confirm method to provide fall protection
- select, prepare and install equipment for installation (scaffold/rigging, secured steelwork structures, wire and rope systems, permanent and temporary installed anchorage points)
- visually inspect fall protection equipment
- install and test anchors and ties
- identify the test criteria for fall protection equipment
- use hand tools and ancillary equipment
- work at height
- use access equipment.
- 7.4 - Safely use and store hand tools, fall protection equipment and ancillary equipment.
- 7.5 - State the needs of other occupations and how to communicate within a team when installing and setting up provision for fall protection.
- 7.6 - Describe how to maintain the tools and equipment used when installing and setting up provision for fall protection.