Interpret the given information relating to the work and resources when installing rainscreen wall cladding systems.
- 1.1. - Interpret and extract relevant information from drawings, specifications, schedules method statements, risk assessments and manufacturers' information.
- 1.2. -
Comply with information and/or instructions derived from risk assessments and method statements.
- 1.3. -
Describe the organisational procedures developed to report and rectify inappropriate information and unsuitable resources and how they are implemented.
- 1.4. -
Describe different types of information, their source and how they are interpreted in relation to:
– drawings, specifications, schedules, method statements, risk assessments, manufacturers' information, current regulations governing buildings and official guidance associated with the installation of rainscreen wall cladding systems.
Know how to comply with relevant legislation and official guidance when installing rainscreen wall cladding systems.
- 2.1. -
Describe their responsibilities regarding potential accidents, health hazards and the environment whilst working:
– in the workplace, in confined spaces, at height, with tools and equipment, with materials and substances, with movement and storage of materials, by manual handling and mechanical lifting and with mechanical access equipment.
- 2.2. -
Describe the organisational security procedures for tools, equipment and personal belongings in relation to site, workplace, company and operative.
- 2.3. -
Explain what the accident reporting procedures are and who is responsible for making reports.
Maintain safe and healthy working practices when installing rainscreen wall cladding systems.
- 3.1. -
Use health and safety control equipment safely and comply with the methods of work to carry out the activity in accordance with current legislation and organisational requirements when installing rainscreen wall cladding systems.
- 3.2. -
Demonstrate compliance with given information and relevant legislation when installing rainscreen wall cladding systems in relation to the following:
– safe use of access equipment
– safe use, storage and handling of materials, tools and associated equipment
– specific risks to health.
- 3.3. -
Explain why and when health and safety control equipment, identified by the principles of prevention, should be used, relating to installing rainscreen wall cladding systems, and the types, purpose and limitations of each type, the work situation and general work environment, in relation to:
– collective protective measures
– personal protective equipment (PPE)
– respiratory protective equipment (RPE).
- 3.4. -
Describe how the relevant health and safety control equipment should be used in accordance with the given working instructions.
- 3.5. - Describe how emergencies should be responded to in accordance with organisational authorisation and personal skills when involved with fires, spillages, injuries, falls, rescue procedures and other task-related activities.
Select the required quantity and quality of resources for the methods of work to install rainscreen wall cladding systems.
- 4.1. -
Select resources associated with own work in relation to
materials, components and specialised fixings for compatible materials, tools and equipment and access equipment.
- 4.2. - Describe the characteristics, quality, uses, sustainability, limitations and defects associated with the resources in relation to:
– fixings, fasteners, flashings, fittings, panel hangers, drips, cover strips, halters and spacer systems
– insulation, fire stops, vapour control, separation and breather membranes
– primers, cleaning agents, sealing tapes, sealants and fillers
– metal and translucent sheets, built up, standing seam, secret fix, composite panels, decking panels and rainscreen panels and fibre cement systems
– rainwater goods
– hand tools, portable power tools and equipment.
- 4.3. -
Describe how the resources should be used correctly and how problems associated with the resources are reported.
- 4.4. -
Explain why the organisational procedures have been developed and how they are used for the selection of required resources.
- 4.5. -
Describe any potential hazards associated with the resources and methods of work.
- 4.6. -
Describe the methods of calculating quantity, length, area and wastage associated with the method and procedure to install rainscreen wall cladding systems.
Minimise the risk of damage to the work and surrounding area when installing rainscreen wall cladding systems.
- 5.1. -
Protect the work and its surrounding area from damage in accordance with safe working practices and organisational procedures.
- 5.2. -
Prevent damage and maintain a clean work space.
- 5.3. -
Dispose of waste in accordance with current legislation.
- 5.4. - Describe how to protect work from damage and the purpose of protection in relation to general workplace activities, other occupations and adverse weather conditions.
- 5.5. -
Explain why the disposal of waste should be carried out safely in accordance with environmental responsibilities, organisational procedures, manufacturers’ information, statutory regulations and official guidance.
Complete the work within the allocated time when installing rainscreen wall cladding systems.
- 6.1. - Demonstrate completion of the work within the allocated time.
- 6.2. -
Describe the purpose of the work programme and explain why deadlines should be kept in relation to:
– types of progress charts, timetables and estimated times
– organisational procedures for reporting circumstances which will affect the work programme.
Comply with the given contract information to install rainscreen wall cladding systems to the required specification.
- 7.1. -
Demonstrate the following work skills when installing rainscreen wall cladding systems:
– measuring, marking out, setting out, adjusting, aligning, fitting, positioning and securing.
- 7.2. -
Use and maintain hand tools, portable power tools, levelling instruments and ancillary equipment.
- 7.3. -
Install rainscreen wall cladding to given working instructions.
- 7.4. -
Describe how to apply safe and healthy work practices, follow procedures, report problems and establish the authority needed to rectify them, to:
– identify installation quality requirements
– conform to agreed specification
– confirm manufacturers’ installation criteria
– ensure currency of calibration for levelling equipment
– assess suitability of background materials
– identify, recognise and work to gridlines and datum marks
– identify the types and characteristics of current rainscreen cladding materials, including, metal, clay, ceramic and laminate
– form internal and external angles
– form opening reveals
– install rainscreen wall cladding systems.
– position and install panel hangers, drips, cover strips, fixings and fittings
– maintain the integrity of surfaces
– fit components around protrusions and penetrations
– position and secure flashings and vents
– check quality and suitability of work on completion and at the end of each working period
– recognise and determine when additional specialist skills and knowledge are required and report accordingly
– work from mobile elevating work platforms
– work with, around and in close proximity to plant and machinery
– use hand tools, portable power tools and equipment
– work at height
– use access equipment.
- 7.5. - Describe the needs of other occupations and how to effectively communicate within a team when installing rainscreen wall cladding systems.
- 7.6. -
Describe how and when to maintain the tools and equipment used when installing rainscreen wall cladding systems.