Interpret the given information relating to the work and resources when installing single and double-lap roof tiles to mitred and vertical roof details.
- 1.1 - Interpret and extract relevant information from oral/written instructions, drawings, specifications, method statements, risk assessments and manufacturers' information.
- 1.2 - Comply with information and/or instructions derived from risk assessments and method statements.
- 1.3 - Describe the organisational procedures developed to report and rectify inappropriate information and unsuitable resources and how they are implemented.
- 1.4 - Describe different types of information, their source and how they are interpreted in relation to:
– oral/written instructions, electronic data, drawings, specifications, schedules, method statement, risk assessments, manufacturers' information and current regulations governing buildings.
Know how to comply with relevant legislation and official guidance when installing single and double-lap roof tiles to mitred and vertical roof details.
- 2.1 - Describe their responsibilities regarding potential accidents, health hazards and the environment, whilst working:
– in the workplace, below ground level, in confined spaces, at height, with tools and equipment, with materials and substances, with movement/storage of materials and by manual handling and mechanical lifting.
- 2.2 - Describe the organisational security procedures for tools, equipment and personal belongings in relation to site, workplace, company and operative.
- 2.3 - Explain what the accident reporting procedures are and who is responsible for making reports.
Maintain safe and healthy working practices when installing single and double-lap roof tiles to mitred and vertical roof details.
- 3.1 - Use health and safety control equipment safely and comply with the methods of work to carry out the activity in accordance with current legislation and organisational requirements when installing single and double-lap roof tiles to mitred and vertical roof details.
- 3.2 - Demonstrate compliance with given information and relevant legislation when installing single and double-lap roof tiles to mitred and vertical roof details in relation to the following:
– safe use of access equipment/working platforms
– safe use, storage and handling of materials, tools and equipment
– specific risks to health.
- 3.3 - Explain why and when health and safety control equipment, identified by the principles of prevention should be used, relating to installing single and double-lap roof tiles to mitred and vertical roof details and the types, purpose and limitations of each type, the work situation and general work environment, in relation to:
– collective protective measures
– personal protective equipment (PPE)
– respiratory protective equipment (RPE)
– local exhaust ventilation (LEV).
- 3.4 - Describe how the relevant health and safety control equipment should be used in accordance with the given working instructions.
- 3.5 - Describe how emergencies should be responded to in accordance with organisational authorisation and personal skills when involved with fires, spillages, injuries and other task-related activities.
Select the required quantity and quality of resources for the methods of work to install single and double-lap roof tiles to mitred and vertical roof details.
- 4.1 - Select resources associated with own work in relation to materials, components, fixings, tools and equipment.
- 4.2 - Describe the characteristics, quality, uses, sustainability, limitations and defects associated with the resources in relation to:
– tiles, fixings, soakers, ridge and hip tiles, dry fix systems, ventilation systems, proprietary roofing grade mortar, sand, cement and additives
– hand tools, powered tools and equipment.
- 4.3 - Describe how the resources should be used correctly and how problems associated with the resources are reported.
- 4.4 - Explain why the organisational procedures have been developed and how they are used for the selection of required resources.
- 4.5 - Describe any potential hazards associated with the resources and methods of work.
- 4.6 - Describe how to calculate quantity, length, area and wastage associated with the method/procedure to install single and double-lap roof tiles to mitred and vertical roof details.
Minimise the risk of damage to the work and surrounding area when installing single and double-lap roof tiles to mitred and vertical roof details.
- 5.1 - Protect the work and its surrounding area from damage in accordance with safe working practices and organisational procedures.
- 5.2 - Minimise damage and maintain a clean work space.
- 5.3 - Dispose of waste in accordance with current legislation.
- 5.4 - Describe how to protect work from damage and the purpose of protection in relation to general workplace activities, other occupations and adverse weather conditions.
- 5.5 - Explain why the disposal of waste should be carried out safely in accordance with environmental responsibilities, organisational procedures, manufacturers’ information, statutory regulations and official guidance.
Complete the work within the allocated time when installing single and double-lap roof tiles to mitred and vertical roof details.
- 6.1 - Demonstrate completion of the work within the allocated time.
- 6.2 - Describe the purpose of the work programme and explain why deadlines should be kept in relation to:
– types of work schedules/diaries, progress charts, timetables and estimated times
– organisational procedures for reporting circumstances which will affect the work programme.
Comply with the given contract information to install single and double-lap roof tiles to mitred and vertical roof details.
- 7.1 - Demonstrate the following work skills when installing single and double-lap roof tiles to mitred and vertical roof details
– measuring, setting out, marking out, cutting, fitting, mixing, positioning, securing and finishing
- 7.2 - Use and maintain hand tools, power tools and ancillary equipment.
- 7.3 - Install single and double-lap roof tiles and related fittings, fixings and components to given working instructions, using new and/or reclaimed materials, for roofs with the following
– general areas
– mitred hips
– mitred valleys
– vertical surfaces (double-lap only)
– eaves and top course
– openings (roof lights, windows)
– dry and/or wet fix verges and ridges.
- 7.4 - Describe how to apply safe and healthy work practices, follow procedures, report problems and establish the authority needed to rectify them, to:
– assess suitability of sub-structure
– identify and report faults with sub-structure and roof interfaces
– determine lap and gauge dimensions
– cut and fit tiles, fittings and roofing components to the required size and shape
– set out and install single and double-lap tiles and components to eaves and top course, verges, ridge, hips, valleys, openings (roof lights, windows), abutments and general areas
– form mitred hips and mitred valleys, including measuring, cutting and fitting soakers
– set out and install double-lap tiles to vertical surfaces, including gable ends, openings and penetrations
- install vents, ridge ventilation and other high level ventilation
– mix sand, cement and additives
– mix proprietary roofing grade mortar
– form dry and/or wet fix finishing details
– recognise where reclaimed materials can be used
– understand the effects on lap and gauge when using reclaimed imperial sized tiles
– understand the uses and limitations of hand-made/crafted clay tiles
– recognise when specialist skills and knowledge are required and report accordingly
– recognise specific requirements for structures of special interest, traditional build (pre 1919) and historical significance
– use hand tools, power tools and equipment
– work at height
– use access equipment/working platforms.
- 7.5 - Describe the needs of other occupations and how to effectively communicate within a team when installing single and double-lap roof tiles to mitred and vertical roof details.
- 7.6 - Describe how to maintain the tools and equipment used when installing single and double-lap roof tiles to mitred and vertical roof details.