||Interpret the given information relating to the work and resources when applying surface finishes to concrete flooring.
- 1.1 - Interpret and extract relevant information from drawings, specifications, schedules, method statements, risk assessments and manufacturers' information.
- 1.2 - Comply with information and/or instructions derived from risk assessments and method statements.
- 1.3 - Describe the organisational procedures developed to report and rectify inappropriate information and unsuitable resources and how they are implemented.
- 1.4 - Describe different types of information, their source and how they are interpreted in relation to:
- drawings, specifications, schedules, method statements, risk assessments, work instructions, electronic data, manufacturers' information and current regulations.
||Know how to comply with relevant legislation and official guidance when applying surface finishes to concrete flooring.
- 2.1 - Describe their responsibilities regarding potential accidents, health hazards and the environment, whilst working:
- in the workplace, below ground level, in confined spaces, at height, with tools and equipment, with materials and substances, with movement/storage of materials and by manual handling and mechanical lifting.
- 2.2 - Describe the organisational security procedures for tools, equipment and personal belongings in relation to site, workplace, company and operative.
- 2.3 - Explain what the accident reporting procedures are and who is responsible for making reports.
||Maintain safe and healthy working practices when applying surface finishes to concrete flooring.
- 3.1 - Use health and safety control equipment safely and comply with the methods of work to carry out the activity in accordance with current legislation and organisational requirements when applying surface finishes to concrete flooring.
- 3.2 - Demonstrate compliance with given information and relevant legislation when applying surface finishes to concrete flooring in relation to:
- safe handling of materials
- safe use and storage of materials, tools and equipment
- specific risks to health
- 3.3 - Explain why and when health and safety control equipment, identified by the principles of protection, should be used, relating to applying surface finishes to concrete flooring, and the types, purpose and limitations of each type, the work situation and general work environment, in relation to:
- collective protective measures
- personal protective equipment (PPE)
- respiratory protective equipment (RPE)
- local exhaust ventilation (LEV).
- 3.4 - Describe how the relevant health and safety control equipment should be used in accordance with the given instructions.
- 3.5 - Describe how emergencies should be responded to in accordance with organisational authorisation and personal skills when involved with fires, spillages, injuries and other task-related activities.
||Select the required quantity and quality of resources for the methods of work to apply surface finishes to concrete flooring.
- 4.1 - Select resources associated with own work in relation to materials, components, fixings, tools and equipment.
- 4.2 - Describe the characteristics, quality, uses, sustainability, limitations and defects associated with the resources in relation to:
- structural concrete
- consumables, curing agents, blades
- pedestrian and ride-on power floats, tamping bars, rollers and vibrating screed beams
- hand tools, portable power tools and equipment.
- 4.3 - Describe how the resources should be used correctly and how problems associated with the resources are reported.
- 4.4 - Explain why the organisational procedures have been developed and how they are used for the selection of required resources.
- 4.5 - Describe any potential hazards associated with the resources and methods of work.
- 4.6 - Describe how to calculate quantity, length, area, volume and wastage associated with the method/procedure to apply surface finishes to concrete flooring.
||Minimise the risk of damage to the work and surrounding area when applying surface finishes to concrete flooring.
- 5.1 - Protect the work and its surrounding area from damage in accordance with safe working practices and organisational procedures.
- 5.2 - Minimise damage and maintain a clean work space.
- 5.3 - Dispose of waste in accordance with current legislation.
- 5.4 - Describe how to protect work from damage and the purpose of protection in relation to general workplace activities, other occupations and adverse weather conditions.
- 5.5 - Explain why the disposal of waste should be carried out safely in accordance with environmental responsibilities, organisational procedures, manufacturers' information, statutory regulations and official guidance.
||Complete the work within the allocated time when applying surface finishes to concrete flooring.
- 6.1 - Demonstrate completion of the work within the allocated time.
- 6.2 - Describe the purpose of the work programme and explain why deadlines should be kept in relation to:
- types of progress charts, timetables and estimated times
- organisational procedures for reporting circumstances which will affect the work programme.
||Comply with the given contract information to apply surface finishes to concrete flooring to the required specification.
- 7.1 - Demonstrate the following work skills when applying surface finishes to concrete flooring:
- measuring, finishing, curing and protecting.
- 7.2 - Use and maintain hand tools, portable power tools, plant or machinery and ancillary equipment.
- 7.3 - Apply finishes to concrete flooring to given working instructions by three of the following:
- pedestrian power float
- ride-on power float.
- 7.4 - Describe how to apply safe and healthy work practices, follow procedures, report problems and establish the authority needed to rectify them, to:
- set up, carry out pre-start and post stop checks and operate pedestrian power float or ride-on power float or other finishing equipment (tamping bars, rollers and vibrating screed beams)
- identify and report defects
- achieve surface finishes to concrete, tamped, brushed, hand-float, pedestrian power float, ride-on power float.
- 7.5 - Describe how to apply safe and healthy work practices, follow procedures, report problems and establish the authority needed to rectify them, to:
- cure and protect
- record and report
- recognise and determine when specific skills and knowledge are required and report accordingly
- use hand tools, portable power tools, plant and machinery and ancillary equipment.
- work at height
- use of access equipment.
- 7.6 - Describe the needs of other occupations and how to effectively communicate within a team when applying surface finishes to concrete flooring.
- 7.7 - Describe how to maintain the tools and equipment used when applying surface finishes to concrete flooring.