||Know how to comply with relevant legislation and official guidance when preparing background surfaces for plasterwork.
- 1.1 - Describe the different types of instruction used with the method/procedure to prepare background surfaces for plasterwork.
- 1.2 - Describe their responsibilities under current legislation and official guidance whilst working:
- in the workplace, below ground level, at height, with tools and equipment, with materials and substances, with movement/storage of materials and by manual handling and mechanical lifting.
- 1.3 - Describe the organisational security procedures for tools, equipment and personal belongings in relation to site, workplace, company and operative.
- 1.4 - State what the accident reporting procedures are and who is responsible for making reports.
||Maintain safe working practices when preparing background surfaces for plasterwork.
- 2.1 - Use personal protective equipment (PPE) and access equipment/working platforms safely to carry out the activity in accordance with legislation and organisational requirements when preparing background surfaces for plasterwork.
- 2.2 - Explain why and when personal protective equipment (PPE) should be used, relating to preparing background surfaces for plasterwork, and the types, purpose and limitations of each type.
- 2.3 - State how emergencies should be responded to in accordance with organisational authorisation and personal skills when involved with fires, spillages, injuries and other task-related hazards.
||Select the required quantity and quality of resources for the methods of work to prepare background surfaces for plasterwork.
- 3.1 - Describe the characteristics, quality, uses, limitations and defects associated with the resources in relation to:
- hand and/or powered tools and equipment.
- 3.2 - Select resources associated with own work in relation to tools and equipment.
- 3.3 - State how the resources should be used correctly.
- 3.4 - Outline potential hazards associated with the resources and method of work.
- 3.5 - Describe how to calculate quantity, length, area and wastage associated with the method/procedure to prepare background surfaces for plasterwork.
||Minimise the risk of damage to the work and surrounding area when preparing background surfaces for plasterwork.
- 4.1 - Protect the work and its surrounding area from damage.
- 4.2 - Minimise damage and maintain a clean work space.
- 4.3 - Describe how to protect work from damage and the purpose of protection in relation to general workplace activities, other occupations and adverse weather conditions.
- 4.4 - Dispose of waste in accordance with legislation.
- 4.5 - State why the disposal of waste should be carried out in relation to the work.
||Complete the work within the allocated time when preparing background surfaces for plasterwork.
- 5.1 - Demonstrate completion of the work within the allocated time.
- 5.2 - State the purpose of the work programme and explain why deadlines should be kept in relation to agreed starting and finishing times.
||Comply with the given contract information to prepare background surfaces for plasterwork to the required specification.
- 6.1 - Demonstrate the following work skills when preparing background surfaces for plasterwork:
- measuring, marking out, cutting, keying and brushing.
- 6.2 - Prepare brick, stone and/or block backgrounds to receive solid and/or fibrous plaster to contractor's working instructions, relating to:
- removing loose or semi-loose material
- removing obstructions.
- 6.3 - Describe how to apply safe work practices, follow procedures, report problems and establish the authority needed to rectify them, to:
- prepare solid plaster backgrounds and/or fibrous plaster backgrounds to receive plasterwork
- method of calculating area of background to be prepared
- work at height
- use hand tools, power tools and equipment.
- 6.4 - Safely use and store hand tools, portable power tools and ancillary equipment.
- 6.5 - State the needs of other occupations and how to communicate within a team when preparing background surfaces for plasterwork.
- 6.6 - Describe how to maintain the tools and equipment used when preparing background surfaces for plasterwork.