Interpret the given information relating to the work and resources when locating and excavating to expose buried utility services.
- 1.1 - Interpret and extract relevant information from drawings, specifications, schedules, risk assessments, method statements, survey and utility company information and manufacturers' information.
- 1.2 - Comply with information and/or instructions derived from risk assessments and method statements.
- 1.3 - Describe the organisational procedures developed to report and rectify inappropriate information and unsuitable resources and how they are implemented.
- 1.4 - Describe different types of information, their source and how they are interpreted in relation to:
– drawings, specifications, schedules, risk assessments, method statements, permits, verbal, written and graphical instructions, organisational and manufacturers' information, current regulations and official guidance governing utility services.
Know how to comply with relevant legislation and official guidance when locating and excavating to expose buried utility services.
- 2.1 - Describe their responsibilities regarding potential accidents, health hazards and the environment, whilst working:
in the workplace, below ground level, in confined spaces, at height, with tools and equipment, with materials and substances, with movement and storage of materials by manual handling and mechanical lifting.
- 2.2 - Describe the organisational security procedures for tools, equipment and personal belongings in relation to site, workplace, company and operative.
- 2.3 - Explain what the accident reporting procedures are and who is responsible for making reports.
- 2.4 - Describe the types of fire extinguishers available when locating and excavating to expose buried utility services and describe how and when they are used.
Maintain safe and healthy working practices when locating and excavating to expose buried utility services.
- 3.1 - Use health and safety control equipment safely and comply with the methods of work to carry out the activity in accordance with current legislation and organisational requirements when locating and excavating to expose buried utility services.
- 3.2 - Demonstrate compliance with given information and relevant legislation when locating and excavating to expose buried utility services in relation to the following:
– safe use, storage and handling of materials, tools and equipment
– specific risks to health
– working with and around utility services including ground penetration
– working in excavations
– others affected by the work.
- 3.3 - Explain why and when health and safety control equipment, identified by the principles of prevention, should be used, relating to locating and excavating to expose buried utility services, and the types, purpose and limitations of each type, the work situation and general work environment, in relation to:
– collective protective measures
– personal protective equipment (PPE)
– respiratory protective equipment (RPE)
- 3.4 - Describe how the relevant health and safety control equipment should be used in accordance with the given working instructions.
- 3.5 - Describe how emergencies should be responded to in accordance with organisational authorisation and personal skills when involved with fires, spillages, injuries, damage to utilities apparatus and sub-structures and other task-related activities.
Select the required quantity and quality of resources for the methods of work when locating and excavating to expose buried utility services.
- 4.1 - Select resources associated with own work in relation to materials, components, tools, equipment and electronic location instruments.
- 4.2 - Describe the characteristics, quality, uses, sustainability, limitations and defects associated with the resources in relation to:
–marking and protection materials
–excavation plant and machinery
–hand tools, power tools, and equipment including specialist tools (insulated and non-sparking tools)
- 4.3 - Describe how to confirm that the resources and materials conform to the specification.
- 4.4 - Describe how the resources should be used correctly and how problems associated with the resources are reported.
- 4.5 - Explain why the organisational procedures have been developed and how they are used for the selection of required resources.
- 4.6 - Describe any potential hazards associated with the resources and methods of work.
- 4.7 - Describe how to identify by calculation, the quantity, length, volume and area associated with the method/procedure to locate and excavate to expose buried utility services.
Minimise the risk of damage to the work and surrounding area when locating and excavating to expose buried utility services
- 5.1 - Protect the work and its surrounding area from damage in accordance with safe working practices and organisational procedures.
- 5.2 - Maintain a clear and tidy work space.
- 5.3 - Dispose of waste in accordance with current legislation.
- 5.4 - Describe how to protect work from damage and the purpose of protection in relation to general workplace activities, other occupations and adverse weather conditions.
- 5.5 - Explain why the disposal of waste should be carried out safely in accordance with environmental responsibilities, organisational procedures, manufacturers’ information, statutory regulations and official guidance.
Complete the work within the allocated time when locating and excavating to expose buried utility services.
- 6.1 - Demonstrate completion of the work within the allocated time.
- 6.2 - Describe the purpose of the work programme and explain why deadlines should be kept in relation to:
– types of productivity targets and time scales
– how times are estimated
– organisational procedures for reporting circumstances which will affect the work programme.
Comply with the given contract information when locating and excavating to expose buried utility services to the required specification.
- 7.1 - Demonstrate the following work skills when locating and excavating to expose buried utility services:
– measuring, locating, exposing, marking out, positioning, protecting and securing.
- 7.2 - Use and maintain hand tools, power tools, ancillary equipment and electronic instruments
- 7.3 - Locate and excavate to expose buried utility services to given working instructions
- 7.4 - Apply protection measures to utility services
- 7.5 - Describe how to apply safe and healthy work practices, follow procedures, report problems and establish the authority needed to rectify them, to:
– confirm the area and location of work, the operations, safety and security requirements including temporary traffic management and immediate area protection
– ensure electronic equipment is calibrated
– conform to agreed specification and local utility service
s providers requirements
– identify utility services by electronic locators, trial holes and visually
– recognise criteria for operating location equipment and their limitations
– confirm the type of service including: gas, fuel, electric, communication, water, sewage
– liaise with utility services organisations
– recognise identification markers for utility types
– excavate by hand and with the assistance of plant or machinery
– work with, in close proximity to, and around plant and machinery
– recognise the criteria for directing and guiding the operations and movement of plant and machinery
–work around street furniture and ironwork
–work in excavations, including the need for excavation supports, edge protection and access equipment
–provide for the recognition and protection of the utility services, sub-structure and the natural environment during operational activities
–install supports for exposed utility services
–recognise and determine when specialist skills and knowledge are required and report accordingly
–use hand tools, portable power tools and equipment including specialist equipment
–use access equipment
-work at height.
- 7.6 - Describe the needs of other occupations and how to effectively communicate within a team when locating and excavating to expose buried utility services.
- 7.7 - Describe how to maintain the tools and equipment used to locate and excavate to expose buried utility services.