||Interpret the given information relating to the work and resources when erecting and dismantling steeplejack scaffolds.
- 1.1 - Interpret and extract information from drawings, method statements, risk assessments, specifications, schedules and manufacturers' information.
- 1.2 - Comply with information and/or instructions derived from risk assessments and method statements.
- 1.3 - Describe the organisational procedures developed to report and rectify inappropriate information and unsuitable resources and how they are implemented.
- 1.4 - Describe different types of information, their source and how they are interpreted in relation to:
- drawings, specifications, schedules, method statements, risk assessments, manufacturers' information, regulations and official guidance associated with steeplejack scaffold work.
||Know how to comply with relevant legislation and official guidance when erecting and dismantling steeplejack scaffolds.
- 2.1 - Describe their responsibilities regarding potential accidents and health hazards, whilst working:
- in the workplace, below ground level, in confined spaces, at height, with tools and equipment, with materials and substances, with movement/storage of materials and by manual handling and mechanical lifting.
- 2.2 - Describe the organisational security procedures for tools, equipment and personal belongings in relation to site, workplace, company and operative.
- 2.3 - Explain what the accident reporting procedures are and who is responsible for making reports.
||Maintain safe and healthy working practices when erecting and dismantling steeplejack scaffolds.
- 3.1 - Use personal protective equipment (PPE) and access equipment safely to carry out the activity in accordance with current legislation and organisational requirements when erecting and dismantling steeplejack scaffolds.
- 3.2 - Explain why and when personal protective equipment (PPE) should be used, relating to erecting and dismantling steeplejack scaffolds, and the types, purpose and limitations of each type.
- 3.3 - Describe how the relevant personal protective equipment (PPE) should be used in accordance with given instructions.
- 3.4 - Describe how emergencies should be responded to in accordance with organisational authorisation and personal skills when involved with fires, spillages, injuries and other task-related hazards.
||Select the required quantity and quality of resources for the methods of work to erect and dismantle steeplejack scaffolds.
- 4.1 - Select resources associated with own work in relation to materials, components, fixings/anchors and ties, tools and equipment and access equipment
- 4.2 - Describe the characteristics, quality, uses, sustainability, limitations and defects associated with the resources in relation to:
- tube and fitting
- systems scaffold
- associated materials (props, ropes, anchors, ties, boards, plates, beams, ladders, proprietary components etc.)
- hand tools and ancillary equipment.
- 4.3 - Describe how the resources should be used correctly and how problems associated with the resources are reported.
- 4.4 - Explain why the organisational procedures have been developed and how they are used for the selection of required resources.
- 4.5 - Describe any potential hazards associated with the resources and methods of work.
- 4.6 - Describe how to calculate quantity, length and area associated with the method/procedure to erect and dismantle steeplejack scaffolds.
||Minimise the risk of damage to the work and surrounding area when erecting and dismantling steeplejack scaffolds.
- 5.1 - Protect the work and its surrounding area from damage in accordance with safe working practices and organisational procedures.
- 5.2 - Minimise damage and maintain a clean work space.
- 5.3 - Dispose of waste in accordance with current legislation.
- 5.4 - Describe how to protect work from damage and the purpose of protection in relation to general workplace activities, other occupations and adverse weather conditions.
- 5.5 - Explain why the disposal of waste should be carried out safely in accordance with environmental responsibilities, organisational procedures, manufacturers' information, statutory regulations and official guidance.
||Complete the work within the allocated time when erecting and dismantling steeplejack scaffolds.
- 6.1 - Demonstrate completion of the work within the allocated time.
- 6.2 - Describe the purpose of the work programme and explain why deadlines should be kept in relation to:
- types of progress charts, timetables and estimated times
- organisational procedures for reporting circumstances which will affect the work programme.
||Comply with the given contract information to erect and dismantle steeplejack scaffolds to the required specification.
- 7.1 - Demonstrate the following work skills when erecting and dismantling steeplejack scaffolds:
- measuring, setting out, assembling, fixing, positioning, securing and removing.
- 7.2 - Erect and dismantle steeplejack scaffolds to given working instructions using either of the following materials and component make-up:
- tube and fitting
- systems scaffold.
- 7.3 - Safely use materials, hand tools, ancillary equipment and access equipment.
- 7.4 - Safely store the materials, tools and equipment used when erecting and dismantling steeplejack scaffolds.
- 7.5 - Describe how to apply safe and healthy work practices, follow procedures, report problems and establish the authority needed to rectify them, to:
– identify and confirm the area to erect the steeplejack scaffold
– confirm that stability of the foundation/structure on which the scaffold will be erected and secured has been considered
– confirm materials and component make-up (tube and fitting, systems scaffold)
– set out and prepare for scaffold structures
– dismantle and remove steeplejack scaffold structures
– visually check fall protection equipment
– install and test anchors and ties
– use hand tools and ancillary equipment
– work at height.
– use access equipment.
- 7.6 - Describe the needs of other occupations and how to effectively communicate within a team when erecting and dismantling steeplejack scaffolds.
- 7.7 - Describe how to maintain the tools and equipment used when erecting and dismantling steeplejack scaffolds.