||Work safely at all times when carrying out checks and/or basic maintenance on plant or machinery.
- 1.1 - Comply with current legislation, Approved Codes of Practice and organisational procedures.
- 1.2 - Use personal protective equipment (PPE) safely to carry out the activity in accordance with legislation and organisational requirements when carrying out checks and/or basic maintenance on plant or machinery.
- 1.3 - Explain why and when personal protective equipment (PPE) should be used, relating to the carrying out of checks and/or basic maintenance on plant or machinery, and the types, purpose and limitations of each type.
- 1.4 - Safely use, store and secure hand tools and ancillary equipment.
||Know how to comply with relevant health and safety legislation and official guidance when carrying out checks and/or basic maintenance on plant or machinery.
- 2.1 - Describe their responsibilities under current legislation and official guidance whilst working:
- in the workplace, below ground level, at height, with tools, plant or machinery and equipment, with materials and substances, with movement/storage of materials and by manual handling and mechanical lifting.
- 2.2 - Describe the reasons for devising and complying with risk and COSHH assessments and how this can encourage safe working practices.
- 2.3 - Describe the organisational security procedures for tools, equipment and personal belongings.
- 2.4 - State what the accident reporting procedures are and who is responsible for making reports.
- 2.5 - State how hazards and emergencies should be responded to in accordance with organisational authorisation and personal skills when involved with fires, spillages, injuries and other task-related hazards.
||Follow the relevant maintenance schedules for the required work when carrying out checks and/or basic maintenance on plant or machinery.
- 3.1 - Interpret and extract information from specifications, schedules, organisational procedures and manufacturers' information relating to the work being carried out.
- 3.2 - State the organisational procedures developed to report and rectify inappropriate information and unsuitable resources and how they are implemented.
- 3.3 - Describe different types of checks and maintenance information, their source and how they are interpreted in relation to:
- specifications, schedules, manufacturers' information and organisational procedures.
- 3.4 - Describe the organisational procedures to solve problems with the information and why it is important they are followed.
||Carry out checks and/or basic maintenance activities within the limits of their personal authority in the specified sequence and agreed time scale.
- 4.1 - Demonstrate the following work skills when carrying out checks and/or basic maintenance on plant or machinery:
- replenishing, replacing, applying, lubricating, cleaning and securing.
- 4.2 - Carry out operator checks and/or basic maintenance tasks on standard or specialised plant or machinery to given working instructions as directed by the employer/ supervisor or authorised person.
- 4.3 - Describe how to follow maintenance authorisation, apply safe work practices, follow procedures, report problems and establish the authority and responsibility needed to:
– clean and prepare areas and components for maintenance
– replenish fuels, lubricants, fluids and coolants
– replace parts
– recycle components
– fit fastening systems, pins, bolts, nuts, washers and consumable items
– complete functional checks in accordance with equipment operating and care and control procedures
– complete reports and records
– use hand tools and ancillary equipment.
- 4.4 - Complete the checks and/or basic maintenance activities within the estimated allocated time and to the required standards and accuracy.
- 4.5 - State the needs of other occupations and how to communicate within a team when carrying out checks and/or basic maintenance on plant or machinery.
- 4.6 - Describe how maintain the tools and equipment used when carrying out checks and/or basic maintenance on plant or machinery.
||Report any instances where the maintenance activities cannot be fully met or where there are identified defects outside the planned schedule when carrying out checks and/or basic maintenance on plant or machinery.
- 5.1 - Report problems and defects beyond their area of responsibility.
- 5.2 - Describe the different ways that problems with maintenance procedures and problems associated with resources can be reported.
||Complete relevant maintenance records accurately and pass them on to the appropriate person when carrying out checks and/or basic maintenance on plant or machinery.
- 6.1 - Record and report maintenance tasks in accordance with organisational procedures and manufacturer's requirements.
- 6.2 - State the procedure to complete checks and maintenance records and what the reporting lines and procedures are within the organisation.
||Dispose of waste materials in accordance with safe working practices and approved procedures when carrying out checks and/or basic maintenance on plant or machinery.
- 7.1 - Protect the work and its surrounding area from damage.
- 7.2 - Minimise damage and maintain a clean work space.
- 7.3 - Dispose of waste in accordance with legislation.
- 7.4 - Describe what the waste disposal procedures are, and how and why the disposal of waste should be carried out safely and how it is achieved.