||Interpret the given information relating to the work and resources when maintaining slate and tile roofing.
- 1.1 - Interpret and extract relevant information from drawings, risk assessments, method statements, specifications, schedules and manufacturers' information.
- 1.2 - Comply with information and/or instructions derived from risk assessments and method statements.
- 1.3 - Describe the organisational procedures developed to report and rectify inappropriate information and unsuitable resources and how they are implemented.
- 1.4 - Describe different types of information, their source and how they are interpreted in relation to:
- drawings, risk assessments, method statements, specifications, schedules, manufacturers' information and regulations governing buildings.
||Know how to comply with relevant legislation and official guidance when maintaining slate and tile roofing.
- 2.1 - Describe their responsibilities regarding potential accidents and health hazards, whilst working:
- in the workplace, below ground level, at height, with tools and equipment, with materials and substances, with movement/storage of materials and by manual handling and mechanical lifting.
- 2.2 - Describe the organisational security procedures for tools, equipment and personal belongings in relation to site, workplace, company and operative.
- 2.3 - Explain what the accident reporting procedures are and who is responsible for making reports.
||Maintain safe and healthy working practices when maintaining slate and tile roofing.
- 3.1 - Use health and safety control equipment and access equipment safely to carry out the activity in accordance with current legislation and organisational requirements when maintaining slate and tile roofing.
- 3.2 - Comply with information relating to specific risks to health when maintaining slate and tile roofing.
- 3.3 - Explain why and when health and safety control equipment, identified by the principles of protection, should be used, relating to maintaining slate and tile roofing, and the types, purpose and limitations of each type, the work situation and general work environment, in relation to:
- collective protective measures
- personal protective equipment (PPE)
- respiratory protective equipment (RPE)
- local exhaust ventilation (LEV).
- 3.4 - Describe how the relevant health and safety control equipment should be used in accordance with the given instructions.
- 3.5 - Describe how emergencies should be responded to in accordance with organisational authorisation and personal skills when involved with fires, spillages, injuries and other task-related hazards.
||Select the required quantity and quality of resources for the methods of work to maintain slate and tile roofing.
- 4.1 - Select resources associated with own work in relation to materials, components and fixings, and tools and equipment.
- 4.2 - Describe the characteristics, quality, uses, sustainability, limitations and defects associated with the resources in relation to:
- slates, tiles, battens, underlays, sand, cement, limes, vents, lead, additives, guttering, downpipes and fixings
- hand and/or powered tools and equipment.
- 4.3 - Describe how the resources should be used correctly and how problems associated with the resources are reported.
- 4.4 - Explain why the organisational procedures have been developed and how they are used for the selection of required resources.
- 4.5 - Describe any potential hazards associated with the resources and methods of work.
- 4.6 - Describe how to calculate quantity, length, area and wastage associated with the method/procedure to maintain slate and tile roofing.
||Minimise the risk of damage to the work and surrounding area when maintaining slate and tile roofing.
- 5.1 - Protect the work and its surrounding area from damage in accordance with safe working practices and organisational procedures.
- 5.2 - Minimise damage and maintain a clean work space.
- 5.3 - Dispose of waste in accordance with current legislation.
- 5.4 - Describe how to protect work from damage and the purpose of protection in relation to general workplace activities, other occupations and adverse weather conditions.
- 5.5 - Explain why the disposal of waste should be carried out safely in accordance with environmental responsibilities, organisational procedures, manufacturers' information, statutory regulations and official guidance.
||Complete the work within the allocated time when maintaining slate and tile roofing.
- 6.1 - Demonstrate completion of the work within the allocated time.
- 6.2 - Describe the purpose of the work programme and explain why deadlines should be kept in relation to:
- types of progress charts, timetables and estimated times
- organisational procedures for reporting circumstances which will affect the work programme.
||Comply with the given contract information to maintain slate and tile roofing to the required specification.
- 7.1 - Demonstrate the following work skills when maintaining slate and tile roofing:
- measuring, marking out, removing, fitting, positioning and securing.
- 7.2 - Repair specified roof areas to given working instructions for four of the following:
- slate roofs (local material and style)
- tiled roofs (local material and style)
- roof ventilation
- rainwater goods
- 7.3 - Safely use materials, hand tools, portable power tools and ancillary equipment.
- 7.4 - Safely store the materials, tools and equipment used when maintaining slate and tile roofing.
- 7.5 - Describe how to apply safe and healthy work practices, follow procedures, report problems and establish the authority needed to rectify them, to:
– remove existing battens, underlays, slates and tiles
– replace new battens and underlays
– remove, replace and treat lead work/flashings (patination oil)
– position and secure roof ventilation
– remove and replace guttering and downpipes
– mix mortar
– work with plant and machinery
– use hand tools, power tools and equipment
– work at height
- use access equipment.
- 7.6 - Describe the needs of other occupations and how to effectively communicate within a team when maintaining slate and tile roofing.
- 7.7 - Describe how to maintain the tools and equipment used when maintaining slate and tile roofing.