||Interpret the given information relating to the work and resources when removing and renewing floor screeds.
- 1.1 - Interpret and extract relevant information from drawings, specifications, schedules, method statements, risk assessments and manufacturers' information.
- 1.2 - Comply with information and/or instructions derived from risk assessments and method statements.
- 1.3 - Describe the organisational procedures developed to report and rectify inappropriate information and unsuitable resources and how they are implemented.
- 1.4 - Describe different types of information, their source and how they are interpreted in relation to:
- drawings, specifications, schedules, method statements, risk assessments and manufacturers' information.
||Know how to comply with relevant legislation and official guidance when removing and renewing floor screeds.
- 2.1 - Describe their responsibilities regarding potential accidents and health hazards, whilst working:
- in the workplace, below ground level, at height, in confined spaces, with tools and equipment, with materials and substances, with movement/storage of materials and by manual handling and mechanical lifting.
- 2.2 - Describe the organisational security procedures for tools, equipment and personal belongings in relation to site, workplace, company and operative.
- 2.3 - Explain what the accident reporting procedures are and who is responsible for making reports.
||Maintain safe and healthy working practices when removing and renewing floor screeds.
- 3.1 - Use health and safety control equipment and access equipment (if applicable) safely to carry out the activity in accordance with current legislation and organisational requirements when removing and renewing floor screeds.
- 3.2 - Comply with information relating to specific risks to health when removing and renewing floor screeds.
- 3.3 - Explain why and when health and safety control equipment, identified by the principles of protection, should be used, relating to removing and renewing floor screeds, and the types, purpose and limitations of each type, the work situation and general work environment, in relation to:
- collective protective measures
- personal protective equipment (PPE)
- respiratory protective equipment (RPE)
- local exhaust ventilation (LEV).
- 3.4 - Describe how the relevant health and safety control equipment should be used in accordance with the given instructions.
- 3.5 - Describe how emergencies should be responded to in accordance with organisational authorisation and personal skills when involved with fires, spillages, injuries and other task-related hazards.
||Select the required quantity and quality of resources for the methods of work to remove and renew floor screeds.
- 4.1 - Select resources associated with own work in relation to materials, components, fixings, tools and equipment.
- 4.2 - Describe the characteristics, quality, uses, sustainability, limitations and defects associated with the resources in relation to:
- floor screeds
- bonding agents
- damp-proofing materials
- insulation materials
- fittings and fixings
- hand and/or portable powered tools and equipment
- 4.3 - Describe how the resources should be used correctly and how problems associated with the resources are reported.
- 4.4 - Explain why the organisational procedures have been developed and how they are used for the selection of required resources.
- 4.5 - Describe any potential hazards associated with the resources and methods of work.
- 4.6 - Describe how to calculate quantity, length, area and wastage associated with the method/procedure to remove and renew floor screeds.
||Minimise the risk of damage to the work and surrounding area when removing and renewing floor screeds.
- 5.1 - Protect the work and its surrounding area from damage in accordance with safe working practices and organisational procedures.
- 5.2 - Minimise damage and maintain a clean work space.
- 5.3 - Dispose of waste in accordance with current legislation.
- 5.4 - Describe how to protect work from damage and the purpose of protection in relation to general workplace activities, other occupations and adverse weather conditions.
- 5.5 - Explain why the disposal of waste should be carried out safely in accordance with environmental responsibilities, organisational procedures, manufacturers' information, statutory regulations and official guidance.
||Complete the work within the allocated time when removing and renewing floor screeds.
- 6.1 - Demonstrate completion of the work within the allocated time.
- 6.2 - Describe the purpose of the work programme and explain why deadlines should be kept in relation to:
- types of progress charts, timetables and estimated times
- organisational procedures for reporting circumstances which will affect the work programme.
||Comply with the given contract information to remove and renew floor screeds to the required specification.
- 7.1 - Demonstrate the following work skills removing and renewing floor screeds:
- measuring, marking out, cutting, keying, mixing, applying, levelling and finishing.
- 7.2 - Prepare floor screeds to given working instructions.
- 7.3 - Remove and renew floor screeds to given working instructions
- 7.4 - Safely use materials, hand tools, portable power tools and ancillary equipment.
- 7.5 - Safely store the materials, tools and equipment used when removing and renewing floor screeds.
- 7.6 - Describe how to apply safe and healthy work practices, follow procedures, report problems and establish the authority needed to rectify them, to:
– cut out and remove defective screeds
– protect damp–proofing, insulation and services (gas, electric, water)
– replace damp–proofing and insulation
– prepare background surfaces
– determine level and gradient
– select and prepare materials
– apply bonding agents
– place, rule off and trowel screeds to float finish
– match new screed to existing
– recognise and determine when specific skills and knowledge are required and report accordingly
–complete and maintain records
– work on buildings of historical significance
– use hand tools, portable power tools and equipment
– work at height
– use access equipment.
- 7.7 - Describe the needs of other occupations and how to effectively communicate within a team when removing and renewing floor screeds.
- 7.8 - Describe how to maintain the tools and equipment used when removing and renewing floor screeds.