Interpret the given information relating to the work and resources when installing, maintaining and removing work area protection and safety equipment.
- 1.1 - Interpret and extract relevant information from drawings, plans, risk assessments, method statements, specifications, schedules and manufacturers' information.
- 1.2 - Comply with information and/or instructions derived from risk assessments and method statements.
- 1.3 - Describe the organisational procedures developed to report and rectify inappropriate information and unsuitable resources and how they are implemented.
- 1.4 - Describe different types of information, their source and how they are interpreted in relation to:
– drawings, plans, risk assessments, method statements, specifications, schedules, site inspection reports, manufacturers' information, verbal and written instructions, current regulations and official guidance associated with protecting work areas.
Know how to comply with relevant legislation and official guidance when establishing work area protection and safety.
- 2.1 - Describe their responsibilities regarding potential accidents, health hazards and the environment, whilst working:
– in the workplace, below ground level, in confined spaces, at height, with tools and equipment, with materials and substances, with movement and storage of materials by manual handling and mechanical lifting.
- 2.2 - Describe the organisational security procedures for tools, equipment and personal belongings in relation to site, workplace, company and operative.
- 2.3 - Explain what the accident reporting procedures are and who is responsible for making reports
Maintain safe and healthy working practices when installing, maintaining and removing work area protection and safety equipment.
- 3.1 - Use health and safety control equipment safely and comply with the methods of work to carry out the activity in accordance with current legislation and organisational requirements when installing, maintaining and removing work area protection and safety equipment.
- 3.2 - Demonstrate compliance with given information and relevant legislation when installing, maintaining and removing work area protection and safety equipment in relation to at least two of the following:
– safe use of access equipment
– safe use, storage and handling of materials, tools and equipment
– specific risks to health.
- 3.3 - Explain why and when health and safety control equipment, identified by the principles of prevention, should be used, relating to installing, maintaining and removing work area protection and safety equipment, and the types, purpose and limitations of each type, the work situation and general work environment, in relation to:
– collective protective measures
– personal protective equipment (PPE)
– respiratory protective equipment (RPE)
– local exhaust ventilation (LEV).
- 3.4 - Describe how the relevant health and safety control equipment should be used in accordance with the given working instructions.
- 3.5 - Describe how emergencies should be responded to in accordance with organisational authorisation and personal skills when involved with fires, spillages, injuries and other task-related activities.
Select the required quantity and quality of resources for the methods of work to install, maintain and remove work area protection and safety equipment.
- 4.1 - Select resources associated with own work in relation to materials, components and fixings, and tools and equipment.
- 4.2 - Describe the characteristics, quality, uses, sustainability, limitations and defects associated with the resources in relation to:
– safety and security equipment (cones, tapes, fences, barriers, hoarding, doors, gates)
– protection and safety notices
– signs and lighting
– hand tools, power tools and equipment.
- 4.3 - Describe how to confirm that the resources and materials conform to the specification.
- 4.4 - Describe how the resources should be used correctly and how problems associated with the resources are reported.
- 4.5 - Explain why the organisational procedures have been developed and how they are used for the selection of required resources.
- 4.6 - Describe any potential hazards associated with the resources and methods of work.
- 4.7 - Describe how to calculate quantity, length and area associated with the method and procedure to install, maintain and remove work area protection and safety equipment.
Minimise the risk of damage to the work and surrounding area when installing, maintaining and removing work area protection and safety equipment.
- 5.1 - Protect the work and its surrounding area from damage in accordance with safe working practices and organisational procedures.
- 5.2 - Maintain a clear and tidy work space.
- 5.3 - Dispose of waste in accordance with current legislation.
- 5.4 - Describe how to protect work from damage and the purpose of protection in relation to general workplace activities, other occupations and adverse weather conditions.
- 5.5 - Explain why the disposal of waste should be carried out safely in accordance with environmental responsibilities, organisational procedures, manufacturers’ information, statutory regulations and official guidance.
Complete the work within the allocated time when installing, maintaining and removing work area protection and safety equipment.
- 6.1 - Demonstrate completion of the work within the allocated time.
- 6.2 - Describe the purpose of the work programme and explain why deadlines should be kept in relation to:
– types of productivity targets and time scales
– how times are estimated
– organisational procedures for reporting circumstances which will affect the work programme.
Comply with the given contract information to install, maintain and remove work area protection and safety equipment to the required specification.
- 7.1 - Demonstrate the following work skills when installing, maintaining and removing work area protection and safety equipment:
– measuring, setting out, positioning, assembling, constructing, securing, dismantling and removing.
- 7.2 - Use and maintain hand tools, power tools and ancillary equipment.
- 7.3 - Install, maintain and remove temporary protection and safety arrangements for the work area, to given working instructions, relating to protection equipment, barriers, fences and at least one of the following:
– protection and safety notices
– safety lighting.
- 7.4 - Report work undertaken
- 7.5 - Describe how to apply safe and healthy work practices, follow procedures, report problems and establish the authority needed to rectify them, to:
– plan for the protection and the safety of the work and surrounding environment
– conform to agreed specification
– confirm the location of utility services and ensure they are protected
– prepare and set out area protection equipment to required dimensions
– install, check and maintain the protection and safety equipment
– dismantle and remove protection and safety equipment
– install safety notices
– install lighting systems
– monitor and check accuracy during progress and on completion of work
– install, maintain and remove work area protection equipment in public areas
– transport, load and off load work area protection equipment
– recognise and determine when specialist skills and knowledge are required and report accordingly
– use hand tools, power tools and equipment
– work at height
– use access equipment.
- 7.6 - Describe the needs of other occupations and how to communicate effectively within a team when installing, maintaining and removing work area protection and safety equipment in the workplace.
- 7.7 - Describe how to maintain the tools and equipment used when installing, maintaining and removing work area protection and safety equipment in the workplace.