||Interpret the given information relating to the work and resources when tiling wall and floor surfaces.
- 1.1 - Interpret and extract relevant information from drawings specifications, job details, method statements, risk assessments, control of substances hazardous to health (COSHH) assessments and manufacturers' information related to the work to be carried out.
- 1.2 - Comply with information and/or instructions derived from risk assessments and method statements.
- 1.3 - State the organisational procedures developed to report and rectify inappropriate information and unsuitable resources and how they are implemented.
- 1.4 - Describe different types of information, their source and how they are interpreted in relation to:
- drawings, specifications, job details, method statements, risk assessments, COSHH assessments, manufacturers' information and wall and floor tiling recommendations.
||Know how to comply with relevant legislation and official guidance when tiling wall and floor surfaces.
- 2.1 - Describe their responsibilities under current legislation and official guidance whilst working:
- in the workplace, in confined spaces, at height, with tools and equipment, with materials and substances, with movement/storage of materials and by manual handling and mechanical lifting.
- 2.2 - Describe the organisational security procedures for tools, equipment and personal belongings in relation to site, workplace, company and operative.
- 2.3 - Explain what the accident reporting procedures are and who is responsible for making reports.
||Maintain safe working practices when tiling wall and floor surfaces.
- 3.1 - Use health and safety control equipment safely to carry out the activity in accordance with legislation and organisational requirements when tiling wall and floor surfaces.
- 3.2 - Explain why and when health and safety control equipment, identified by the principles of protection, should be used, relating to tiling wall and floor surfaces, and the types, purpose and limitations of each type, the work situation and general work environment, in relation to:
- collective protective measures
- personal protective equipment (PPE)
- respiratory protective equipment (RPE)
- local exhaust ventilation (LEV).
- 3.3 - Describe how the relevant health and safety control equipment should be used in accordance with the given instructions.
- 3.4 - State how emergencies should be responded to in accordance with organisational authorisation and personal skills when involved with fires, spillages, injuries and other task-related hazards.
||Select the required quantity and quality of resources for the methods of work to tile wall and floor surfaces.
- 4.1 - Select resources associated with own work in relation to materials, components, accessories, tools and equipment.
- 4.2 - Describe the characteristics, quality, uses, sustainability, limitations and defects associated with the resources in relation to:
- wall and floor tiles, grout, adhesives, accessories
- hand and/or powered tools and associated equipment.
- 4.3 - Describe how the resources should be used correctly and how problems associated with the resources are reported.
- 4.4 - Explain why the organisational procedures have been developed and how they are used for the selection of required resources.
- 4.5 - Describe any potential hazards associated with the resources and method of work.
- 4.6 - Describe how to calculate quantity, length, area and wastage associated with the method/procedure to tile wall and floor surfaces.
||Minimise the risk of damage to the work and surrounding area when tiling wall and floor surfaces.
- 5.1 - Protect the work and its surrounding area from damage in accordance with safe working practices and organisational procedures.
- 5.2 - Minimise damage and maintain a clean work space.
- 5.3 - Dispose of waste in accordance with legislation.
- 5.4 - Describe how to protect work from damage and the purpose of protection in relation to general workplace activities, other occupations and adverse weather conditions.
- 5.5 - Explain why the disposal of waste should be carried out safely in accordance with environmental responsibilities, organisational procedures, manufacturers' information, statutory regulations and official guidance.
||Complete the work within the allocated time when tiling wall and floor surfaces.
- 6.1 - Demonstrate completion of the work within the allocated time.
- 6.2 - State the purpose of the work programme and explain why deadlines should be kept in relation to:
- types of progress charts, timetables and estimated times
organisational procedures for reporting circumstances which will affect the work programme.
||Comply with the given contract information to tile wall and floor surfaces to the required specification.
- 7.1 - Demonstrate the following work skills when tiling wall and floor surfaces:
- measuring, setting out, cutting, removing, applying, positioning, securing and finishing.
- 7.2 - Fix tiles to vertical, horizontal and inclined surfaces to given working instructions for:
- wall and floor surfaces
- reveals, cills and soffits (door and/or windows)
- floor drainage and outlets
- fixture of appropriate accessories.
- 7.3 - Safely use materials, hand tools, portable power tools and associated equipment.
- 7.4 - Safely store the materials, tools and equipment used when tiling wall and floor surfaces.
- 7.5 - Describe how to apply safe work practices, follow procedures, report problems and establish the authority needed to rectify them, to:
– fix and finish wall and floor tiles to regular and irregular vertical, horizontal and inclined surfaces, including staircase and landing (new and repair work)
– remove existing tiles and prepare background
– form reveals, cills and soffits (door and window openings)
– form internal and external angles
– fix channels/form drainage and outlets
– use appropriate accessories
– use hand tools, power tools and associated equipment
– work at height
– use access equipment.
- 7.6 - Describe the needs of other occupations and how to effectively communicate within a team when tiling wall and floor surfaces.
- 7.7 - Describe how to maintain the tools and equipment used when tiling wall and floor surfaces.