||Interpret the given information relating to the preparation and operation of suction and vacuum excavators to extract.
- 1.1 - Interpret and extract relevant information from drawings, specifications, schedules, risk assessments and manufacturers' information.
- 1.2 - Comply with information and/or instructions derived from risk assessments and method statements.
- 1.3 - Describe the organisational procedures developed to report and rectify inappropriate information and unsuitable resources and how they are implemented.
- 1.4 - Describe different types of information, their source and how they are interpreted in relation to:
- drawings, specifications, schedules, method statements, risk assessments, manufacturers' information, and current regulations governing the operation of suction and vacuum excavators to extract.
||Organise with others the sequence and operation in which suction and vacuum excavator operations to extract are to be carried out.
- 2.1 - Organise the work according to given information or instructions.
- 2.2 - Describe how to communicate ideas between team members.
- 2.3 - Organise and communicate with team members and other associated occupations.
- 2.4 - Describe how to organise resources prior to and during operations using suction and vacuum excavators to extract.
||Know how to comply with relevant legislation and official guidance when carrying out suction and vacuum excavator operations to extract.
- 3.1 - Describe their responsibilities regarding potential accidents, health hazards and the environment whilst working:
- in the workplace, below ground level, in confined spaces, at height, with tools and equipment, with materials and substances, with movement/storage of materials and by manual handling and mechanical lifting.
- 3.2 - Describe the organisational security procedures for tools, equipment and personal belongings in relation to site, workplace, company and operative.
- 3.3 - Explain what the accident reporting procedures are and who is responsible for making reports.
||Maintain safe and healthy working practices when preparing for and carrying out suction and vacuum excavator operations to extract.
- 4.1 - Use health and safety control equipment safely and comply with the methods of work to carry out the activity in accordance with legislation and organisational requirements during suction and vacuum excavation operations to extract.
- 4.2 - Demonstrate compliance with given information and relevant legislation when carrying out suction and vacuum excavation operations to extract in relation to two or more of the following:
- safe use and storage of plant or machinery
- safe use and storage of tools and equipment
- specific risks to health.
- 4.3 - Explain why and when health and safety control equipment, identified by the principles of protection, should be used, relating to suction and vacuum excavators to extract use, and the types, purpose and limitations of each type, the work situation and general work environment, in relation to:
- collective protective measures
- local exhaust ventilation (LEV)
- personal protective equipment (PPE)
- respiratory protective equipment (RPE).
- 4.4 - Describe how the relevant health and safety control equipment should be used in accordance with the given working instructions.
- 4.5 - Describe how emergencies should be responded to in accordance with organisational authorisation and personal skills when involved with fires, spillages, injuries and other task-related activities.
||Request and select the required quantity and quality of resources to prepare for and carry out suction and vacuum excavation operations to extract.
- 5.1 - Request and select resources associated with suction and vacuum excavation to extract in relation to consumables, materials, attachments, tools, ancillary equipment and/or accessories.
- 5.2 - Describe the characteristics, quality, uses, sustainability, limitations and defects associated with the resources, and how they should be used correctly, relating to:
- consumables, lubricants and fuels
- attachments and plant or machinery aids
- hand tools, ancillary equipment and accessories.
- 5.3 - Describe how the resources should be used correctly and how problems associated with the resources are reported.
- 5.4 - Explain why the organisational procedures have been developed and how they are used for the selection of required resources.
- 5.5 - Describe any potential hazards associated with the resources and methods of work.
- 5.6 - Describe how to identify weight, bearing, pressure, quantity, length and area associated with the method/procedures to carry out suction and vacuum excavation operations to extract.
||Minimise the risk of damage to the work and surrounding area when preparing to and carrying out suction and vacuum excavation operations to extract.
- 6.1 - Protect the work and its surrounding area from damage in accordance with safe working practices and organisational procedures.
- 6.2 - Maintain a clean work space.
- 6.3 - Dispose of waste in accordance with current legislation.
- 6.4 - Describe how to protect work from damage and the purpose of protection in relation to general workplace activities, other occupations and adverse weather conditions.
- 6.5 - Explain why the disposal of waste should be carried out safely in accordance with environmental responsibilities, organisational procedures, manufacturers' information, statutory regulations and official guidance.
||Complete the work within the allocated time when preparing to and carrying out suction and vacuum excavation operations to extract.
- 7.1 - Demonstrate completion of the work within the allocated time.
- 7.2 - Describe the purpose of the work programme and describe why deadlines should be kept in relation to:
- types of progress charts, timetables and estimated times
- organisational procedures for reporting circumstances which will affect the work programme.
||Comply with the given contract information to carry out suction and vacuum excavations operations to extract to the required specification.
- 8.1 - Demonstrate the following work skills when preparing for and excavating materials using suction and vacuum excavation to extract:
- checking, adjusting, communicating, manoeuvring, positioning, measuring, extracting and removing.
- 8.2 - Use and maintain hand tools, ancillary equipment and/or accessories.
- 8.3 - Prepare, set up, position and operate suction and vacuum excavators to given working instructions
- extract different types of materials.
- 8.4 - Shut down and secure.
- 8.5 - Describe how to apply safe and healthy work practices, follow procedures, report problems and establish authority needed to rectify them, to:
– identify the characteristics of the suction and vacuum excavator used for the suction and vacuum extraction operation
– carry out function checks for the suction and vacuum extraction operation
– prepare, set up and adjust for operational requirements
– identify the area of work
– carry out pre-operational checks for obstructions, stability, safety and security of the work and surrounding area
– identify geological, environmental and material changes and report
– check to avoid damage to structures and utilities service apparatus
– recognise and determine when specific skills and knowledge are required and report accordingly
– extract materials safely and securely
– be on the public highway
– use hand tools, ancillary equipment and accessories.
- 8.6 - Describe the needs of other occupations and how to communicate effectively within a team when preparing to and carrying out extracting operations.
- 8.7 - Describe how to maintain the plant and machinery, hand tools, ancillary equipment and accessories used to carry out extracting operations.