||Interpret the given information relating to the work and resources when utilising provision of fall protection systems and/or equipment.
- 1.1 - Interpret and extract information from plans, drawings, specifications, method statements, risk assessments, schedules and manufacturers' information.
- 1.2 - Comply with information and/or instructions derived from risk assessments and method statement.
- 1.3 - State the organisational procedures developed to report and rectify inappropriate information and unsuitable resources and how they are implemented.
- 1.4 - Describe different types of information, their source and how they are interpreted in relation to:
- drawings, specifications, method statements, risk assessments, schedules, manufacturers' information, regulations and official guidance associated with the provision of fall protection systems.
||Know how to comply with relevant legislation and official guidance when utilising provision of fall protection systems and/or equipment.
- 2.1 - Describe their responsibilities under current legislation and official guidance whilst working:
- in the workplace, below ground level, in confined spaces, at height, with tools and equipment, with materials and substances, with movement/storage of materials and by manual handling and mechanical lifting.
- 2.2 - Describe the organisational security procedures for tools, equipment and personal belongings in relation to site, workplace, company and operative.
- 2.3 - State what the accident reporting procedures are and who is responsible for making reports.
||Avoid risk by maintaining safe working practices when utilising provision of fall protection systems and/or equipment.
- 3.1 - Use personal protective equipment (PPE) and access equipment safely to carry out the activity in accordance with legislation and organisational requirements when utilising provision of fall protection systems and/or equipment.
- 3.2 - Explain why, when and how personal protective equipment (PPE) should be used, relating to utilising provision of fall protection systems and/or equipment, and the types, purpose and limitations of each type.
- 3.3 - State how emergencies should be responded to in accordance with organisational authorisation and personal skills when involved with fires, spillages, injuries and other task-related hazards.
||Select the required quantity and quality of resources for the methods of work to utilise provision of fall protection systems and/or equipment.
- 4.1 - Describe the characteristics, quality, uses, limitations and defects associated with the resources in relation to:
- collective protective equipment
- full body harness
- lanyard with and without shock absorber
- associated hooks, rings and buckles
- tools and equipment.
- 4.2 - Select resources associated with own work in relation to materials and components, tools and equipment.
- 4.3 - State how the resources should be used correctly, how problems associated with the resources are reported and how the organisational procedures are used.
- 4.4 - Outline potential hazards associated with the resources and method of work.
- 4.5 - Describe how to calculate quantity associated with the method/procedure to utilise provision of fall protection systems.
||Minimise the risk of damage to the work and surrounding area when utilising provision of fall protection systems and/or equipment.
- 5.1 - Protect the work and its surrounding area from damage.
- 5.2 - Minimise damage and maintain a clean work space.
- 5.3 - Describe how to protect work from damage and the purpose of protection in relation to general workplace activities, other occupations and adverse weather conditions.
- 5.4 - Dispose of waste in accordance with legislation.
- 5.5 - State why the disposal of waste should be carried out safely in accordance with environmental responsibilities, organisational procedures, manufacturers' information, statutory regulations and official guidance.
||Complete the work within the allocated time when utilising provision of fall protection systems and/or equipment.
- 6.1 - Demonstrate completion of the work within the allocated time.
- 6.2 - State the purpose of the work programme and explain why deadlines should be kept in relation to:
- types of progress charts, timetables and estimated times
- organisational procedures for reporting circumstances which will affect the work programme.
||Comply with the given contract information to utilise provision of fall protection systems to the required specification and/or equipment.
- 7.1 - Demonstrate the following work skills when utilising provision of fall protection systems and/or equipment:
- wearing, attaching, setting out, positioning, securing, checking and removing.
- 7.2 - Employ and utilise fall protection systems and/or equipment to given working instructions, using recognised anchor points for two of the following:
- secured steelwork structures
- wire and rope systems
- permanently installed anchorage points
- temporary anchorage points
- track systems
- proprietary systems.
- 7.3 - Describe how to apply safe work practices, follow procedures, report problems and establish the authority needed to rectify them, to:
- locate and position fall protection systems
- wear safety harnesses, attach and secure to fall protection system's equipment
- identify the differences between, fall arrest, restraint and access systems and harnesses
- identify the differences between shock absorbent and restraining lanyards
- visually inspect the fall protection system and equipment for security, safety and operational movement
- identify the thorough examination and test criteria for fall protection equipment (inertia reels, eyebolts and anchor points)
- apply hierarchy of control measures for working at height
- detach and remove fall protection attire and equipment
- comply with a rescue plan
- use hand tools
- use access equipment.
- 7.4 - Safely use and store materials, hand tools, and fall protection systems and equipment.
- 7.5 - State the needs of other occupations and how to communicate within a team when utilising provision for fall protection systems.
- 7.6 - Describe how to maintain the tools, systems and equipment used when utilising provision of fall protection systems and/or equipment.