||Interpret the given information relating to the work and resources when installing precast concrete retaining structures.
- 1.1 - Interpret and extract relevant information from drawings, specifications, schedules, method statements, risk assessments and manufacturers' information.
- 1.2 - Comply with information and/or instructions derived from risk assessments and method statements.
- 1.3 - Describe the organisational procedures developed to report and rectify inappropriate information and unsuitable resources and how they are implemented.
- 1.4 - Describe different types of information, their source and how they are interpreted in relation to:
- drawings, specifications, schedules, method statements, risk assessments, manufacturers' information, site specific safety rules, current regulations governing buildings and official guidance associated with the installation of precast concrete retaining structures.
||Know how to comply with relevant legislation and official guidance when installing precast concrete retaining structures.
- 2.1 - Describe their responsibilities regarding potential accidents, health hazards and the environment whilst working:
- in the workplace, below cut slope level, in confined spaces, at height, with tools and equipment, with materials and substances, with movement and storage of materials and by manual handling and mechanical lifting.
- 2.2 - Describe the organisational security procedures for tools, equipment and personal belongings in relation to site, workplace, company and operative.
- 2.3 - Explain what the accident reporting procedures are and who is responsible for making reports.
||Maintain safe and healthy working practices when installing precast concrete retaining structures.
- 3.1 - Use health and safety control equipment safely and comply with the methods of work to carry out the activity in accordance with legislation and organisational requirements when installing precast concrete retaining structures.
- 3.2 - Demonstrate compliance with given information and relevant legislation when installing precast concrete retaining structures in relation to the following:
- safe use of access equipment
- safe use, storage and handling of materials, tools and equipment
- specific risks to health.
- 3.3 - Explain why and when health and safety control equipment, identified by the principles of prevention, should be used, relating to installing precast concrete retaining structures, and the types, purpose and limitations of each type, the work situation and general work environment, in relation to:
- collective protective measures
- personal protective equipment (PPE)
- respiratory protective equipment (RPE)
- local exhaust ventilation (LEV).
- 3.4 - Describe how the relevant health and safety control equipment should be used in accordance with the given working instructions.
- 3.5 - Describe how emergencies should be responded to in accordance with organisational authorisation and personal skills when involved with fires, spillages, injuries and other task-related activities.
||Select the required quantity and quality of resources for the methods of work to install precast concrete retaining structures.
- 4.1 - Select resources associated with own work in relation to materials, components, fixings, tools and equipment.
- 4.2 - Describe the characteristics, quality, uses, sustainability, limitations and defects associated with the resources in relation to:
- concrete and precast concrete units, props
- drainage materials
- joint sealants to include dry pack, mastic and membranes
- backfill materials
- drills, mechanical and chemical anchors and fixings
- torque and tensioning equipment and lifting accessories
- sleeves, barriers and ancillaries
- hand tools, portable power tools and ancillary equipment.
- 4.3 - Describe how the resources should be used correctly and how problems associated with the resources are reported.
- 4.4 - Explain why the organisational procedures have been developed and how they are used for the selection of required resources.
- 4.5 - Describe any potential hazards associated with the resources and methods of work.
- 4.6 - Describe the methods of calculating quantity, length, area and wastage associated with the method and procedure to install precast concrete retaining structures.
||Minimise the risk of damage to the work and surrounding area when installing precast concrete retaining structures.
- 5.1 - Protect the work and its surrounding area from damage in accordance with safe working practices and organisational procedures.
- 5.2 - Maintain a clean work space.
- 5.3 - Dispose of waste in accordance with current legislation.
- 5.4 - Describe how to protect work from damage and the purpose of protection in relation to general workplace activities, other occupations and adverse weather conditions.
- 5.5 - Explain why the disposal of waste should be carried out safely in accordance with environmental responsibilities, organisational procedures, manufacturers' information, statutory regulations and official guidance.
||Complete the work within the allocated time when installing precast concrete retaining structures.
- 6.1 - Demonstrate completion of the work within the allocated time.
- 6.2 - Describe the purpose of the work programme and explain why deadlines should be kept in relation to:
- types of progress charts, timetables and estimated times
- organisational procedures for reporting circumstances which will affect the work programme
||Comply with the given contract information to install precast concrete retaining structures to the required specification.
- 7.1 - Demonstrate the following work skills when installing precast concrete retaining structures:
- measuring, setting out, trimming, levelling, plumb, compacting, fixing, locating, fitting, securing, tensioning, placing and protecting
- 7.2 - Use and maintain hand tools, portable power tools, torque or tensioning equipment, lifting accessories and ancillary equipment.
- 7.3 - Install reinforced concrete retaining structures to given working instructions relating to the following:
- construct concrete base
- protect concrete for curing
- place, fit and secure precast units
- backfill and compact in layers
- install safety and protection measures.
- 7.4 - Describe how to apply safe and healthy work practices, follow procedures, report problems and establish the authority needed to rectify them, to:
– identify installation quality requirements
– conform to agreed specification
– store and prepare equipment and materials
– confirm the location and protection of services
– identify and confirm datum
– mark out to line and level
– identify the characteristics of precast concrete retaining structures
– excavate, set aside and dispose of spoils
– set out for bases and precast units
– trim formation to line and level
– construct concrete bases
– install drainage and outfall (weep) holes
– drill and prepare concrete bases
– install anchor bolts, mechanical and chemical fixings
– work with, around and in close proximity to plant and machinery
– direct and guide the operations of plant and machinery
– protect concrete for the curing process
– secure and seal joints
– position, locate, assemble, prop and secure precast retaining units
– locate, fix and layout retaining straps and lines
– backfill and compact in layers
– secure soil separation mats
– install sleeves and barriers
– install material, erosion and edge protection measures
– recognise and determine when additional specialist skills and knowledge are required and report accordingly
– determine specific requirements for structures of special interest, traditional build (pre 1919) and historical significance
– use hand tools, portable power tools and equipment
– work at height
– use access equipment.
- 7.5 - Describe the needs of other occupations and how to effectively communicate within a team when installing precast concrete retaining structures.
- 7.6 - Describe how to maintain the tools, torque and tensioning equipment, lifting accessories and ancillary equipment used when installing precast concrete retaining structures.