||Interpret the given information relating to the work and resources when establishing work area protection and safety.
- 1.1. - Interpret and extract relevant information from drawings, plans, risk assessments, method statements, specifications, schedules, site inspections and manufacturers' information.
- 1.2. - Comply with information and/or instructions derived from risk assessments and method statements.
- 1.3. - Describe the organisational procedures developed to report and rectify inappropriate information and unsuitable resources and how they are implemented.
- 1.4. - Describe different types of information, their source and how they are interpreted in relation to:
- drawings, plans, risk assessments, method statements, specifications, schedules, site inspection reports, manufacturers' information, regulations and official guidance associated with protecting work areas.
Know how to comply with relevant legislation and official guidance when establishing work area protection and safety.
- 2.1. - Describe their responsibilities regarding potential accidents and health hazards, whilst working:
- in the workplace, below ground level, in confined spaces, at height, with tools and equipment, with materials and substances, with movement/storage of materials and by manual handling and mechanical lifting.
- 2.2. - Describe the organisational security procedures for tools, equipment and personal belongings in relation to site, workplace, company and operative.
- 2.3. - Explain what the accident reporting procedures are and who is responsible for making reports.
Maintain safe and healthy working practices when establishing work area protection and safety.
- 3.1. - Use health and safety control equipment and access equipment safely to carry out the activity in accordance with current legislation and organisational requirements when establishing work area protection and safety.
- 3.2. - Comply with information relating to specific risks to health when establishing work area protection and safety.
- 3.3. - Explain why and when health and safety control equipment, identified by the principles of protection, should be used, relating to establishing work area protection and safety, and the types, purpose and limitations of each type, the work situation and general work environment, in relation to:
- collective protective measures
- personal protective equipment (PPE)
- respiratory protective equipment (RPE)
- local exhaust ventilation (LEV).
- 3.4. - Describe how the relevant health and safety control equipment should be used in accordance with the given instructions.
- 3.5. - Describe how emergencies should be responded to in accordance with organisational authorisation and personal skills when involved with fires, spillages, injuries and other task-related hazards.
Select the required quantity and quality of resources for the methods of work to establish work area protection and safety.
- 4.1. - Select resources associated with own work in relation to materials, components and fixings, and tools and equipment.
- 4.2. - Describe the characteristics, quality, uses, sustainability, limitations and defects associated with the resources in relation to:
- safety and security barriers
- protection and safety notices
- temporary structures
- signs and lighting
- hand and/or powered tools and equipment.
- 4.3. - Describe how the resources should be used correctly and how problems associated with the resources are reported.
- 4.4. - Explain why the organisational procedures have been developed and how they are used for the selection of required resources.
- 4.5. - Describe any potential hazards associated with the resources and methods of work.
- 4.6. - Describe how to calculate quantity, length and area associated with the method/procedure to establish work area protection and safety.
Minimise the risk of damage to the work and surrounding area when establishing work area protection and safety.
- 5.1. - Protect the work and its surrounding area from damage in accordance with safe working practices and organisational procedures.
- 5.2. - Minimise damage and maintain a clean work space.
- 5.3. - Dispose of waste in accordance with current legislation.
- 5.4. - Describe how to protect work from damage and the purpose of protection in relation to general workplace activities, other occupations and adverse weather conditions.
- 5.5. - Explain why the disposal of waste should be carried out safely in accordance with environmental responsibilities, organisational procedures, manufacturers' information, statutory regulations and official guidance.
Complete the work within the allocated time when establishing work area protection and safety.
- 6.1. - Demonstrate completion of the work within the allocated time.
- 6.2. - Describe the purpose of the work programme and explain why deadlines should be kept in relation to:
- types of progress charts, timetables and estimated times
- organisational procedures for reporting circumstances which will affect the work programme.
Comply with the given contract information to establish work area protection and safety to the required specification.
- 7.1. - Demonstrate the following work skills when establishing work area protection and safety:
- measuring, setting out, positioning, assembling, constructing, securing and dismantling.
- 7.2. - Install, maintain and remove temporary protection and safety arrangements for the work area, to given working instructions, relating to barriers/temporary structures and one of the following:
- protection and safety notices
- safety lighting.
- 7.3. - Safely use materials, hand tools, portable power tools and ancillary equipment.
- 7.4. - Safely store the materials, tools and equipment used when establishing work area protection and safety.
- 7.5. - Describe how to apply safe and healthy work practices, follow procedures, report problems and establish the authority needed to rectify them, to:
– plan for the protection and the safety of the work and surrounding environment
– install, check and maintain the protection and safety equipment
– dismantle and remove protection and safety equipment
– install safety notices
– install lighting systems
– use hand tools, power tools and equipment
– work at height
– use access equipment.
- 7.6. - Describe the needs of other occupations and how to effectively communicate within a team when establishing work area protection and safety.
- 7.7. - Describe how to maintain the tools and equipment used when establishing work area protection and safety.