||Interpret the given information relating to the work and resources when preparing, operating and controlling road plant or machinery.
- 1.1 - Interpret and extract relevant information from drawings, specifications, schedules, risk assessments, method statements and manufacturers' information.
- 1.2 - Comply with information and/or instructions derived from risk assessments and method statements.
- 1.3 - Describe the organisational procedures developed to report and rectify inappropriate information and unsuitable resources and how they are implemented.
- 1.4 - Describe different types of information, their source and how they are interpreted in relation to:
- drawings, specifications, schedules, method statements, risk assessments, organisational and manufacturers' information and current regulations and official guidance governing operations of plant or machinery.
||Organise with others the sequence in which the preparing, operating and controlling road plant or machinery are to be carried out.
- 2.1 - Organise the work according to given information or instructions.
- 2.2 - Communicate with team members and other associated occupations about the plant or machinery operations and the work to be carried out.
- 2.3 - Describe how to communicate ideas between team members.
||Know how to comply with relevant legislation and official guidance when preparing, operating and controlling road plant or machinery.
- 3.1 - Describe their responsibilities regarding potential accidents health hazards and the environment, whilst working:
- in the workplace, below ground level, at height, with tools and equipment, with materials and substances, with movement/storage of materials and by manual handling and mechanical lifting.
- 3.2 - Describe the organisational security procedures for plant and/or machinery, tools, equipment and personal belongings in relation to site, workplace, company and operative.
- 3.3 - Explain what the accident reporting procedures are and who is responsible for making reports.
||Maintain safe and healthy working practices when preparing, operating and controlling road plant or machinery.
- 4.1 - Use health and safety control equipment safely to carry out the activity in accordance with current legislation and organisational requirements when preparing, operating and controlling road plant or machinery.
- 4.2 - Comply with information relating to specific risks to health when preparing, operating and controlling road plant or machinery.
- 4.3 - Explain why and when health and safety control equipment, identified by the principles of protection, should be used, relating to preparing, operating and controlling road plant or machinery, and the types, purpose and limitations of each type, the work situation and general work environment, in relation to:
- collective protective measures
- personal protective equipment (PPE)
- respiratory protective equipment (RPE)
- local exhaust ventilation (LEV).
- 4.4 - Describe how the relevant health and safety control equipment should be used in accordance with the given working instructions.
- 4.5 - Describe how emergencies should be responded to in accordance with organisational authorisation and personal skills when involved with fires, spillages, injuries and other task-related activities.
||Request and select the required quantity and quality of resources when preparing, operating and controlling road plant or machinery.
- 5.1 - Request and select resources associated with own work in relation to tools, ancillary equipment and/or accessories.
- 5.2 - Describe the characteristics, quality, uses, sustainability, limitations and defects associated with the resources, and how they should be used correctly, in relation to:
- consumables, lubricants, fuels
- paving materials (bituminous; concrete; aggregates, resins, membranes, calcined bauxite, catalyst, doping agents, fibres, pigment, resins, primers)
- recycling materials
- pavement marking materials
- 5.3 - Describe how the resources should be used correctly and how problems associated with the resources are reported.
- 5.4 - Explain why the organisational procedures have been developed and how they are used for the selection of required resources.
- 5.5 - Describe any potential hazards associated with the resources and methods of work.
- 5.6 - Describe how to calculate weight, quantity, length and area associated with the method/procedure to prepare, operate and control road plant or machinery.
||Minimise the risk of damage to the work and surrounding area when preparing, operating and controlling road plant or machinery.
- 6.1 - Protect the work and its surrounding area from damage in accordance with safe working practices and organisational procedures.
- 6.2 - Minimise damage and maintain a clean work space.
- 6.3 - Dispose of waste in accordance with current legislation.
- 6.4 - Describe how to protect work from damage and the purpose of protection in relation to general workplace activities, other occupations and adverse weather conditions.
- 6.5 - Explain why the disposal of waste should be carried out safely in accordance with environmental responsibilities, organisational procedures, manufacturers' information, statutory regulations and official guidance.
||Complete the work within the allocated time when preparing, operating and controlling road plant or machinery.
- 7.1 - Demonstrate completion of the work within the allocated time.
- 7.2 - Shut down and secure the plant.
- 7.3 - Describe the purpose of the work programme and explain why deadlines should be kept in relation to:
- types of progress charts, timetables and estimated times
- organisational procedures for reporting circumstances which will affect the work programme.
||Comply with the given contract information to form and/or maintain roads by preparing, operating and controlling road plant or machinery to the required specification.
- 8.1 - Demonstrate the following work skills when preparing, operating and controlling road plant or machinery:
- checking, setting up, adjusting, communicating, operating, controlling, securing, laying, stripping, compacting, marking, levelling and finishing.
- 8.2 - Prepare, operate, control operations and shut down road plant or machinery to given working instructions relating to one of the following areas:
– Bituminous paving: for one of the following – screwman (screed operator), paver driver, roller driver, chipping machine driver, loader-compressor driver, sweeper operator, tanker/sprayer operator, geo-synthetic (membrane, mesh) installation, spray injection patching, thermal repair
– Concrete paving: as operator of one of the following – concrete paver, placer/spreader, slip form paver, texturing/curing machine
– Slurry/microsurfacing: as operator of one of the following – applicator, tanker, tipper grab, sweeper, roller
– Surface dressing: as operator of one of the following – tanker, chipper, spray bar, tanker and chipper combined, roller, loader, linked tipper, sweeper
– High friction surfacing: as operator of one of the following – tanker, spray bar, chipper, sweeper
– Planing operations: as operator of one of the following – up to 500 mm without elevator; 500 mm –1 m with elevator; over 1 m with elevator
– Road recycling: as operator
– Soil stabilisation: as operator
– Surface retexturing: as operator for one of the following – mechanical retexturing, mechanical repair, flailing, high pressure jetting, grinding, sweeper
– Pavement marking: as steersman/operator for white liner vehicle
– Highways drainage: as operator for one of the following
– gully emptier, sweeper.
- 8.3 - Safely use plant or machinery, tools, ancillary equipment and/or accessories.
- 8.4 - Safely store the plant or machinery, tools and equipment and/or accessories used when preparing, operating and controlling road plant or machinery.
- 8.5 - Describe how to apply safe and healthy work practices, follow procedures, report problems and establish the authority needed to rectify them, to:
- identify the work requirements and your occupational role
- identify the type of plant or machinery required
- confirm the area and location of work, the operations, safety and security requirements
- prepare, set up and carry out checks for performance of the plant or machinery
- carry out and control operations according to your role and the required performance of plant or machinery
- stop, shut down operations and secure plant or machinery
- use equipment and/or accessories.
- 8.6 - Describe the needs of other occupations and how to effectively communicate within a team when preparing, operating and controlling road plant or machinery.
- 8.7 - Describe how to maintain the plant or machinery and tools and equipment used when preparing, operating and controlling road plant or machinery.