Interpret the given information relating to the work and resources when installing, maintaining and removing temporary excavation support.
- 1.1 - Interpret and extract relevant information from drawings, specifications, schedules, risk assessments, method statements, and manufacturers' information.
- 1.2 - Comply with information and/or instructions derived from risk assessments and method statements.
- 1.3 - Describe the organisational procedures developed to report and rectify inappropriate information and unsuitable resources and how they are implemented.
- 1.4 - Describe different types of information, their source and how they are interpreted in relation to:
– drawings, specifications, schedules, risk assessments, method statements, manufacturers' information, verbal, written and graphical instructions, current regulations and official guidance governing construction works and the support of excavations.
Know how to comply with relevant legislation and official guidance when installing, maintaining and removing temporary excavation support.
- 2.1 - Describe their responsibilities regarding potential accidents, health hazards and the environment whilst working:
– in the workplace, below ground level, in confined spaces, at height, with tools and equipment, with materials and substances, with movement and storage of materials by manual handling and mechanical lifting.
- 2.2 - Describe the organisational security procedures for tools, equipment and personal belongings in relation to site, workplace, company and operative.
- 2.3 - Explain what the accident reporting procedures are and who is responsible for making reports.
Maintain safe and healthy working practices when installing, maintaining and removing temporary excavation support.
- 3.1 - Use health and safety control equipment safely and comply with the methods of work to carry out the activity in accordance with current legislation and organisational requirements when installing, maintaining and removing temporary excavation support.
- 3.2 - Demonstrate compliance with given information and relevant legislation when installing, maintaining and removing temporary excavation support in relation to the following:
– safe use of access equipment
– safe use, storage and handling of materials, tools and equipment
– specific risks to health.
- 3.3 - Explain why and when health and safety control equipment, identified by the principles of prevention, should be used, relating to providing temporary excavation support, and the types, purpose and limitations of each type, the work situation and general work environment, in relation to:
– collective protective measures
– personal protective equipment (PPE)
– respiratory protective equipment (RPE)
– local exhaust ventilation (LEV).
- 3.4 - Describe how the relevant health and safety control equipment should be used in accordance with the given working instructions.
- 3.5 -
|Describe how emergencies should be responded to in accordance with organisational authorisation and personal skills when involved with fires, spillages, injuries and other task-related activities. |
Select the required quantity and quality of resources for the methods of work to install, maintain and remove temporary excavation support.
- 4.1 - Select resources associated with own work in relation tomaterials, components and fixings, and tools and equipment.
- 4.2 - Describe the characteristics, quality, uses, sustainability, limitations and defects associated with the resources in relation to:
– proprietary systems
– open and closed support systems
– piling systems
– bespoke equipment
– fixing devices
– hand tools, power tools and ancillary equipment.
- 4.3 - Describe how to confirm that the resources and materials conform to the specification.
- 4.4 - Describe how the resources should be used correctly and how problems associated with the resources are reported.
- 4.5 - Explain why the organisational procedures have been developed and how they are used for the selection of required resources.
- 4.6 - Describe any potential hazards associated with the resources and methods of work.
- 4.7 - Describe how to calculate quantity, length, area and wastage associated with the method and procedure to provide excavation support.
Minimise the risk of damage to the work and surrounding area when installing, maintaining and removing temporary excavation support.
- 5.1 - Protect the work and its surrounding area from damage in accordance with safe working practices and organisational procedures.
- 5.2 - Maintain a clean and tidy work space
- 5.3 - Dispose of waste in accordance with current legislation.
- 5.4 - Describe how to protect work from damage and the purpose of protection in relation to general workplace activities, other occupations and adverse weather conditions.
- 5.5 - Explain why the disposal of waste should be carried out safely in accordance with environmental responsibilities, organisational procedures, manufacturers’ information, statutory regulations and official guidance.
Complete the work within the allocated time when installing, maintaining and removing temporary excavation support.
- 6.1 - Demonstrate completion of the work within the allocated time.
- 6.2 - Describe the purpose of the work programme and explain why deadlines should be kept in relation to:
– types of productivity targets and time scales
– how times are estimated
– organisational procedures for reporting circumstances which will affect the work programme.
Comply with the given contract information to install, maintain and remove temporary excavation support to the required specification.
- 7.1 - Demonstrate the following work skills when installing, maintaining and removing temporary excavation support:
– measuring, marking out, preparing, positioning, fitting, supporting, fixing, securing, dismantling and removing.
- 7.2 - Use and maintain hand tools, power tools and ancillary equipment.
- 7.3 - Install, maintain and remove temporary excavation support to given working instructions, relating to at least one of the following:
– proprietary systems e.g. drag box, trench box, manhole box
– open and closed support systems
– piling systems e.g. diaphragm wall, trench sheets, sheet piles, secant support or contiguous support
– bespoke support systems.
- 7.4 - Describe how to apply safe and healthy work practices, follow procedures, report problems and establish the authority needed to rectify them, to:
–recognise types of temporary support for excavations
–conform to agreed specifications
–plan, prepare and set out for the installation of the excavation support and edge protection
–remove surface courses, ironwork, modular components, street furniture and sub-surface structures
–recognise changes in ground conditions, ground water conditions, soil types and excavation stability
–recognise the dangers of loads and structures at the edge of excavations
–identify and locate utility services, excavate around services and protect
–recognise inspection and test criteria for excavation support systems
–provide for safe access and egress into the excavation and around the temporary excavation support
–protect and monitor adjacent structures
–excavate manually for the installation, maintenance and removal of excavation supports
–construct, erect and install temporary excavation support as excavations progress and on completion
–monitor and check accuracy at start, during progress and on completion of work
–work with, around and in close proximity to plant and machinery including lifting equipment
–inspect and maintain the integrity and safety of the temporary support structures
–dismantle and remove the excavation support structure
–recognise and determine when specialist skills and knowledge are required and report accordingly
–use hand tools, power tools and equipment
–work at height and in confined spaces
–use access equipment
- 7.5 -
|Describe the needs of other occupations and how to communicate effectively within a team when installing, maintaining and removing temporary excavation support. |
- 7.6 - Describe how to maintain the tools and equipment used when installing, maintaining and removing temporary excavation support.