Interpret the given information relating to the work and resources when installing external blinds, screens or solar shading systems.
- 1.1 - Interpret and extract relevant information from drawings, specifications, schedules, methods statements, risk assessments and manufacturers' information.
- 1.2 - Comply with information and/or instructions derived from risk assessments and method statements.
- 1.3 - Describe the organisational procedures developed to report and rectify inappropriate information and unsuitable resources and how they are implemented.
- 1.4 - Describe different types of information, their source and how they are interpreted in relation to:
–drawings, specifications, schedules, method statements, risk assessments, manufacturers' information official guidance and current regulations governing buildings associated with the installation of external blinds, screens or solar shading systems.
Know how to comply with relevant legislation and official guidance when installing external blinds, screens or solar shading systems.
- 2.1 - Describe their responsibilities regarding potential accidents, health hazards and the environment, whilst working:
–in the workplace, below ground level, in confined spaces, at height, with tools and equipment, with materials and substances, with movement and storage of materials by manual handling and mechanical lifting.
- 2.2 - Describe the organisational security procedures for tools, equipment and personal belongings in relation to site, workplace, company, operative and vehicles.
- 2.3 - Explain what the accident reporting procedures are and who is responsible for making reports.
Maintain safe and healthy working practices when installing external blinds, screens or solar shading systems.
- 3.1 - Use health and safety control equipment safely and comply with the methods of work to carry out the activity in accordance with current legislation and organisational requirements when installing external blinds, screens or solar shading systems.
- 3.2 - Demonstrate compliance with given information and relevant legislation when installing external blinds, screens or solar shading systems in relation to the following:
-safe use of access equipment
-safe use, storage and handling of materials, tools and equipment
-specific risks to health.
- 3.3 - Explain why and when health and safety control equipment, identified by the principles of prevention, should be used, relating to installing external blinds, screens or solar shading systems, and the types, purpose and limitations of each type, the work situation and general work environment, in relation to:
–collective protective measures
–personal protective equipment (PPE)
–respiratory protective equipment (RPE)
–local exhaust ventilation (LEV).
- 3.4 - Describe how the relevant health and safety control equipment should be used in accordance with the given instructions.
- 3.5 - Describe how emergencies should be responded to in accordance with organisational authorisation and personal skills when involved with fires, spillages, injuries and other task-related activities.
Select the required quantity and quality of resources for the methods of work to install external blinds, screens or solar shading systems.
- 4.1 - Select resources associated with own work in relation to materials, components, fixings, tools and equipment and consumables.
- 4.2 - Describe the characteristics, quality, uses, sustainability limitations and defects associated with the resources in relation to:
–fixings and fittings
–blinds, screens and solar shading systems
–hand tools, power tools and equipment
–operation, safety and maintenance documentation.
- 4.3 - Describe how to confirm that the resources and materials conform to the specification.
- 4.4 - Describe how the resources should be used correctly and how problems associated with the resources are reported.
- 4.5 - Explain why the organisational procedures have been developed and how they are used for the selection of required resources.
- 4.6 - Describe any potential hazards associated with the resources and methods of work.
- 4.7 - Describe how to calculate quantity, length, area and wastage associated with the method and procedure to install external blinds, screens or solar shading systems.
Minimise the risk of damage to the work and surrounding area when installing external blinds, screens or solar shading systems.
- 5.1 - Protect the work and its surrounding area from damage in accordance with safe working practices and organisational procedures.
- 5.2 - Maintain a clear and tidy work space.
- 5.3 - Dispose of waste in accordance with current legislation.
- 5.4 - Describe how to protect work from damage and the purpose of protection in relation to general workplace activities, other occupations and adverse weather conditions.
- 5.5 - Explain why the disposal of waste should be carried out safely in accordance with environmental responsibilities, organisational procedures, manufacturers’ information, statutory regulations and official guidance.
Complete the work within the allocated time when installing external blinds, screens or solar shading systems.
- 6.1 - Demonstrate completion of the work within the allocated time.
- 6.2 - Describe the purpose of the work programme and explain why deadlines should be kept in relation to:
–types of productivity targets and time scales
–how times are estimated
–organisational procedures for reporting circumstances which will affect the work programme.
Comply with the given contract information to install external blinds, screens or solar shading systems to the required specification.
- 7.1 - Demonstrate the following work skills when installing external blinds, screens or solar shading systems:
–measuring, marking out, drilling, assembling, align, positioning, supporting, fitting, adjusting, fixing and securing.
- 7.2 - Use and maintain hand tools, portable power tools and ancillary equipment.
- 7.3 - Prepare, install and commission three of the following external blinds, screens or solar shading systems to given working instructions:
–awnings and canopies
–external blinds (roller or venetian)
–solar powered external shading
–louvre arrays (fixed, damping, acoustic).
- 7.4 - Test operational functions of installed blinds, screens or solar shading systems.
- 7.5 - Inspect, check and test any safety devices.
- 7.6 - Describe how to apply safe and healthy work practices, follow procedures, report problems and establish the authority needed to rectify them, to:
–confirm installation requirements
–agree appropriate ways in which the work should be carried out
–maintain the principles of minimum intervention and reversible alteration
–stop work at the point where guesswork begins and report findings
–recognise the structural composition of mounting and fixing points
–prepare external blinds, screens and solar shading for installation
–recognise operating systems (motorised, rotation: crank handle, winch handle, cord, cable, tape, assisted: ratio reduction gear and balance (spring, counter-balance weight)
–recognise parts of blinds, screens and solar shading systems
–position and erect supports
–install external blinds, screen or solar shadings, awnings and canopies, shop blinds, external blinds (rollers or venetians), fixed shades (brise soleil and louvre arrays), solar shading systems, solar powered external shading systems, motorised and automated systems
–control and guide lifting appliances
–adjust blinds, screens and solar shading systems
–recognise and determine when specialist skills and knowledge are required and report accordingly
–explain automated control systems
–test the operation of installed blinds, screens and solar shading systems
–inspect, check and test safety devices
–describe the operation for optimal energy saving performance
–provide operation, safety and maintenance information to client, customer or their representative
–work on buildings of historical significance
–use hand tools, power tools and equipment
–work at height
–use access equipment.
- 7.7 - Describe the needs of other occupations and how to communicate effectively within a team when installing external blinds, screens or solar shading systems.
- 7.8 - Describe how to maintain the tools and equipment used when installing external blinds, screens or solar shading systems.