Interpret the given information relating to the work and resources when reinstating trenches in paved surfaces.
- 1.1 - Interpret and extract relevant information from drawings, specifications, schedules, risk assessments, method statements, and manufacturers' information.
- 1.2 - Comply with information and/or instructions derived from risk assessments and method statements.
- 1.3 - Describe the organisational procedures developed to report and rectify inappropriate information and unsuitable resources and how they are implemented.
- 1.4 - Describe different types of information, their source and how they are interpreted in relation to:
– drawings, specifications, schedules, risk assessments, method statements, manufacturers' information, verbal, written and graphical instructions and current regulations governing reinstating trenches in paved surfaces
Know how to comply with relevant legislation and official guidance when reinstating trenches in paved surfaces.
- 2.1 - Describe their responsibilities regarding potential accidents, health hazards and the environment, whilst working:
– in the workplace, below ground level, in confined spaces, with tools and equipment, with materials and substances, with movement and storage of materials by manual handling and mechanical lifting.
- 2.2 - Describe the organisational security procedures for tools, equipment and personal belongings in relation to site, workplace, company and operative.
- 2.3 - Explain what the accident reporting procedures are and who is responsible for making reports.
Maintain safe and healthy working practices when reinstating trenches in paved surfaces.
- 3.1 - Use health and safety control equipment safely and comply with the methods of work to carry out the activity in accordance with current legislation and organisational requirements when reinstating trenches in paved surfaces.
- 3.2 - Demonstrate compliance with given information and relevant legislation when reinstating trenches in paved surfaces in relation to the following:
– safe use, storage and handling of materials, tools and equipment
– specific risks to health
– others affected by the work
- 3.3 - Explain why and when health and safety control equipment, identified by the principles of prevention, should be used, relating to reinstating trenches in paved surfaces, and the types, purpose and limitations of each type, the work situation and general work environment, in relation to:
– collective protective measures
– personal protective equipment (PPE)
– respiratory protective equipment (RPE)
- 3.4 - Describe how the relevant health and safety control equipment should be used in accordance with the given working instructions.
- 3.5 - Describe how emergencies should be responded to in accordance with organisational authorisation and personal skills when involved with fires, spillages, injuries and other task-related activities.
Select the required quantity and quality of resources for the methods of work to reinstate trenches in paved surfaces.
- 4.1 - Select resources associated with own work in relation to materials, components, fixings, tools and equipment.
- 4.2 - Describe the characteristics, quality, uses, sustainability limitations and defects associated with the resources in relation to:
– new and re-usable materials, sub-base, road-base and pavement surface
– cold-lay, warm lay and hot-lay bituminous materials
– sands, jointing materials
– concrete, blocks and flags
– natural soil based materials
– hand tools, power tools and equipment.
- 4.3 - Describe how to confirm that the resources and materials conform to the specification.
- 4.4 - Describe how the resources should be used correctly and how problems associated with the resources are reported.
- 4.5 - Explain why the organisational procedures have been developed and how they are used for the selection of required resources.
- 4.6 - Describe any potential hazards associated with the resources and methods of work.
- 4.7 - Describe how to identify by calculation, quantity, length, area and wastage associated with the method and procedure to reinstate trenches in paved surfaces.
Minimise the risk of damage to the work and surrounding area when reinstating trenches in paved surfaces.
- 5.1 - Protect the work and its surrounding area from damage in accordance with safe working practices and organisational procedures.
- 5.2 - Maintain a clear and tidy work space.
- 5.3 - Dispose of waste in accordance with current legislation.
- 5.4 - Describe how to protect work from damage and the purpose of protection in relation to general workplace activities, other occupations and adverse weather conditions.
- 5.5 - Explain why the disposal of waste should be carried out safely in accordance with environmental responsibilities, organisational procedures, manufacturers’ information, statutory regulations and official guidance.
Complete the work within the allocated time when reinstating trenches in paved surfaces.
- 6.1 - Demonstrate completion of the work within the allocated time.
- 6.2 - Describe the purpose of the work programme and explain why deadlines should be kept in relation to:
– types of productivity targets and time scales
– how time is estimated
– organisational procedures for reporting circumstances which will affect the work programme.
Comply with the given contract information to reinstate trenches in paved surfaces to the required specification.
- 7.1 - Demonstrate the following work skills when reinstating trenches in paved surfaces:
– backfilling, laying, compacting, levelling, securing and finishing.
- 7.2 - Use and maintain hand tools, power tools and ancillary equipment.
- 7.3 - Reinstate trenches in paved surfaces to given working instructions, for sub-grades, sub bases and foundations relating to at least one of the following:
–sealants and emulsions
- 7.4 - Describe how to apply safe and healthy work practices, follow procedures, report problems and establish the authority needed to rectify them, to:
–confirm the area and location of work, the operations, safety and security requirements including temporary traffic management and immediate area protection
–confirm the type of ground structure for reinstatement (bituminous, concrete, modular, natural)
–conform to the agreed specification
–reinstate and compact backfill, sub-grades, sub-bases, foundations and pavement bases for the relevant type of ground structure
–protect service apparatus and sub-structures during reinstatement
–reinstate the relevant type of ground surface, pavement surface, specialist surface treatments, kerbs, edge restraints, street ironwork and pavement markings
–work around street furniture and ironwork
–dispose of surplus materials
–return infrastructure to operational status
–recognise and determine when specialist skills and knowledge are required and report accordingly
use hand tools, power tools and equipment.
- 7.5 - Describe the needs of other occupations and how to effectively communicate within a team when reinstating trenches in paved surfaces.
- 7.6 - Describe how to maintain the tools and equipment used when reinstating trenches in paved surfaces.